CHAPTER TWENTY ~PART THREE~

CHAPTER

               Twenty

    I can’t help but feel shaken up by what happened. Tormented on the inside but unable to show it on the outside when there are others watching. Since then I’ve been accepted into the society and it’s interweavings fully except for the couple of exceptions, Valde and Percy. Percy’s final test followed mine and it seems he too has passed with flying colors, much like me and Valde have. The more time I spend with them the more I see the corruption in their ways and their mob mentality. Valde’s brain process is completely inhibited by the brainwashing as is Percy’s. They are both like mindless drones fixed on only one thing, power over others.

    Me and Cynthia have been working hard on honing in on our skills. We’ve got down short distance warping for the most part. We can pretty much warp to any spot we desire within sight of our position.

Our ability to lift and move objects has reached an all new level. The weight we can maintain a strong hold on is increasing day by day. The last thing we need to work on is our time jumping. Sending yourself through time has proven to be much harder to control and focus on than a clock.

Tristis has been hard at work researching everything he can about the history of the society and the technology. He has spent hours more than he would have wanted with Hansel to pick his brain and understand as much about the ascension room as he can before we all go rogue. We talk about it often, what we are eventually going to do.

“We will be fugitive's.” Tristis points out often like he’s the only one who understands the gravity of what’s to come.

After first meal we split up as to not draw attention to ourselves. Then Cynthia and I meet up out on the beach behind the large boulders that litter the shoreline. It’s become our sanctuary from the others. We spend much of our time there plotting, training and just hanging out away from everyone else. It’s nice to have this all to ourselves where we are safe to be ourselves and not forced to be like the others. Keeping up the desensitized brainwashed gimmick is getting old.

As I make my way through the sand towards the boulders. I hear some noise from behind the door I just left through. I freeze in the sand and wait to hear what the noise is. I decide to take no chances and manipulate the light between me and the door distorting it making me invisible. I wrap the light around me until I’m completely covered and completely invisible.

The door slowly opens as Valde steps out from behind it. He closes the door slowly behind his back as he scans the beach. He squints his eyes and begins to move down the beach towards where I am standing. My practice has obviously paid off since he has no idea I’m here and my shielding is working. The problem is I’ve never tried to hold the shield while moving around and Valde is heading straight towards me.

My heart is pounding and I’m working on some excuse that will explain why I am out here holding up a shielding force field in the middle of the beach without drawing unwanted attention, but I can’t come up with anything.

Valde gets close enough that I can smell the stench of his heavy breathing. I fight the instinct to  pinch my nostrils shut, and keep my hands holding the warped screen up between us, masking my position. Valde stops just inches from me and I am dumbfounded as to why he can’t see me right now. I hold my breath knowing that he would surely be able to smell the onion bagel I stuffed into my mouth just minutes before heading out.

Valde stands there for a few minutes looking back and forth down the strip of beach towards the boulders and out into the ocean. He sighs letting out a breath that is formed just inches from my shield. As valde turns to head back to the building the cloud of breath is pulled into my shield and is wrapped around my body creating a spectacle that would surely give away my position.