Chapter Thirteen

Written by Kenz (TogetherWeRise)

Chapter Thirteen

Rosalie

“Shh, it’s going to be okay, Rosie. We’re just going to get the stretcher out of the ambulance now, okay? Nobody’s going to hurt you.”

I looked up at the soft spoken man in scrubs with heavy lidded eyes. I must have dozed off during the ride because I didn’t remember any of it. Fucking drugs, I thought bitterly.

When they’d tried to get me dressed to transport me to the mental hospital I’d put up a fight. I tried begging with them, trying to think of ways to prove that my story was the truth, but they’d mistaken my desperation for a meltdown and injected some sort of liquid into my arm. It had taken mere minutes for it to begin to effect me, and soon enough it was easy for them to slip me into clothes and strap me into a stretcher with my limbs held down.

The last thing I remembered was the heavy double doors of the ambulance slamming closed. Now we’d apparently arrived. I wanted to tell the prick, who was looking down at me like some pathetic charity case, that he should unstrap my arms and legs because I wasn’t a psycho. I wanted to tell him that he should give me some counteractive to the drug so that I no longer felt like a prisoner in my own goddamn body. Of course, I could say neither, as my lips seemed to not want to work.

I felt a light bump as the stretcher was lowered to pavement. A few mumbled words passed between the guy in scrubs and a woman in a sweater, they both signed some paper on a clipboard, and then he hopped back in the ambulance. A woman nurse in scrubs with large yellow ducks patterning them got behind the stretcher and began to wheel me inside as the woman in the fancy sweater walked alongside us.

Stuck staring at the ceiling, all I could see were the too-bright lights we were passing, along with the stark white ceiling and odd head of hair. The hallway smelled of rubber gloves and the smell made me wrinkle my nose in distaste.

“Okay, honey,” the woman spoke in what I assumed was supposed to be a soothing tone. “Nurse Jillian and I are taking you to your room to get you set up. It’s okay. No one’s going to hurt you here.”

My brain said, I shouldn’t be here. The sound that came out of my mouth was closer to a pathetic mewling noise. While it was an improvement, it infuriated me nonetheless. Was this even legal? They were treating me like some sort of animal. This was like being kidnaped all over again, except perhaps worse. 

The difference being that this time the people I loved knew exactly what was happening and didn’t care. Tears stung my eyes and I couldn’t even wipe them away, partly due to the thick straps holding my arms down and the drugs that had been given to me against my will. Thick droplets of water ran from my eyes down the sides of my face, getting lost somewhere in the greasy strands of blonde hair above my ears.

I was wheeled into a room. The nurse was dismissed and the woman in the sweater leaned down, to my surprise undoing the straps. With my arms free I tried raising one to test them out, finding that they felt heavy but it wasn’t impossible to move. When my legs were free I scrambled to a sitting position and pulled my knees up to my chest, staring at the woman.

She looked pleasant, her sleek shoulder length hair peppered with the odd gray streak, and her clothes were expensive and tailored . There was laugh lines around her mouth and she was on the shorter, rounder side. Catching on to my staring, she smiled gently and sat on the edge of the bed. One of her hands crept out to reassuringly touched my knee but I shook my head at her, practically hissing.