Chapter Twelve

Written by Kay (TheCrazySide)

Chapter Twelve
Miranda

Everything ached, or maybe ached wasn’t the right word. Everything just felt broken, slashed or snapped or crushed in some way.

I couldn’t understand it, not one bit. They had all been rough from the start, I mean, that was nothing new. Now though, ever since Rosalie left, they were just plain savage.

My beatings had become daily occurrences, or even more than that, if it was possible. I’d get beaten until I could barely breathe, fed a bit, then get left alone, only for it to all start again.

I didn’t know what had changed. Hell, I didn’t even know why they hadn’t killed me by now. It would probably have saved them the trouble of expending all this energy on grounding me down like they did.

Since it had been long since the harsh beatings first started, some of them seemed to lose interest, Louis, Niall, and Liam especially. It’s like they just got bored with it, which partly made me concerned, because for them, things (people) they got bored with, they killed.

I wasn’t sure what the reason was that they let up and Harry became worse, but it was something between them I would likely never know, that much I could tell.

Today, Harry had that always-predatory look in his eyes again, just like any other. I’ve noticed though that his expressions and actions as a whole weren’t just cruel anymore, they had become angry, furious even. It was like everything he did was fueled by rage now, and he was just a never-ending torrent of it.

I felt blood pooling in my mouth as the insides of my cheeks and lips were constantly cut on my teeth with the impact of his hits. It was the same disgusting, metallic taste, though it was also something I was beginning to become accustomed to.

Be numb, be numb, I told myself, slipping back into that state of mind that wasn’t even of this world anymore. It was almost instantaneous, like flipping a switch, before I could barely feel anything anymore. I knew I was being hit and cut and what was happening, I just refused to feel it.

"You sure you don't want to join?" I faintly heard Harry's voice. 

"Mate, you know I love this, but you can only torture someone for so long before it gets old." That was Louis. 

"You don't say?" 

"You know, they don't even do anything. I mean, look at her. Are you seriously telling me you're entertained still, by this?" 

"Mildly, yes." 

Louis laughed a bit, but it was faint for me, like hearing something through a tunnel. "You're only entertained because you like screwing over our fearless leader." 

There was a short pause before Harry spoke again, stopping everything he was doing. "I'm getting pissed, more than the usual, I mean. Like, I'm going to carve his toy up as long as she lives if I have to to get him to break," he scoffed. "He calls himself our leader and he's falling to pieces. He can't fool me with this one, not anymore."

Then all of a sudden, it was over. There was nothing being thrown at me, mental or physical. In fact, when I actually bothered to straighten up a bit (though painful, it was) I noticed Harry wasn’t even in the room anymore.

“You can’t keep doing this!”

I forced myself to be even more quiet than usual at this sudden outburst, hearing the deep, angry voice just outside the door. It was a bit muffled, but from what I could tell, it was likely Harry, seeing as he had the deepest voice of them all.