Chapter One

Written by Kenz (TogetherWeRise)

Chapter One
Rosalie

“Try not to faint before we even get there, yeah?”

I wanted to tell her that there was absolutely no way I was going to faint but I couldn’t say it and be telling the truth. The possibility was definitely there. Excitement was coursing through me, barely contained, making me jittery. My hands were shaking and I was absurdly bouncing in my seat like a child on their way to the park. If I was that pumped at just the prospect of seeing them, of course I was going to freak out when I actually laid eyes on them.

“Shut up,” I said, giggling into my hand.

She grinned, sliding her eyes from the road for a moment to wink at me, and I took note of her fingers flexing on the steering wheel. She didn’t want to admit it but she was anticipating the signing too, though she wasn’t as big a fan as me. Every time I suggested otherwise I’d get the same mantra; I’m far too old to be crushing on some boyband. I wanted to roll my eyes just thinking about it. 

She was seventeen, less than a year older than me, so did that mean I was too old as well?

“Hey, keep talking to me like that and I’ll turn the car around. I’d just as happily sell these stupid wristbands and make twice as much as I paid for them.”

“But you’re not going to do that,” I told her, propping my feet up on the dashboard. Her empty threat didn‘t have much effect. “Because you’re the best sister ever and this is the best birthday present ever and you’re not going to ruin it for me, are you?”

I turned my head towards her and batted my eyes, resting my folded hands beneath my chin and putting on my best 'you-know-you-love-me' expression. She barely looked, but she didn’t have to. She knew exactly what I looked like, being as she pulled the same face so often herself and we were practically mirror images of one another; thick, sandy blonde hair, blue-green eyes with smudges of light brown and long, straight noses and oval shaped faces, just like our father.

Lorraine flipped her hair over her shoulder and seeing the action made me reach up to run a hand through my own, longer hair, now suddenly aware of it. “I’m considering it, so you’d better be nicer to me, Rosie."

I grimaced. Rosie was a nickname I’d always hated. “What was that? I didn’t hear you, Raine."

She turned towards me and I stuck my tongue out at her, making sure she caught sight of the tongue piercing she hated so much. Everybody knew she didn’t like being called Raine, or Lorrie... or anything, for that matter. Lorraine thought of herself as Lorraine and that was it. I, personally, was open to all sorts of alternatives and shortenings of my name - Rose, Ali, even Blondie - but Rosie was not one of them and she well knew that.

“Point taken, you difficult child," she let out a mock sigh of resign before repeating herself. “I’m considering it, so you’d better be nicer to me, Rosalie."

“Thank you," I said happily.

“You’re truly a stubborn cow,” an exasperated breath puffed out of her mouth and caused a section of her fringe to briefly fly upwards.

I shrugged. “Being stubborn gets you what you want, doesn’t it?”

I leaned over to turn up the radio, at the same time cutting off the playful conversation. If You Seek Amy by Britney Spears practically blasted from the speakers of the car and I recalled how much I liked the song.