Chapter 4: Promises and Surprises

"Al!" I scream and run to him. He opens up his arms for a hug. Once I get to him I hug him and he lifts me up and spins me around.

"I'm so happy I'm at the same RPA as you Izzy. I couldn't imagine living away from you." he says softly. I then pull away from our hug.

"It's a good thing your here. Now I can watch all of these princesses flirt with you." I said. He chuckled.

"Izzy, is this your best friend?" I head Scott's voice interrupt.

"Yes. Scott this is Al Monte. Al this is Scott Wesley." I said introducing them to each other.

"Nice to meet you Al." Scott said extending his hand out. His face looked very serious and dark

"You too." Al said shaking Scott's hand. "I heard that your taking Izzy to the ball tomorrow." Al says to Scott. Scott's face resembled Al's right now, both dark and serious.

"Yes I am. And who have you been assigned to escort?" Scott asked.

"I'm taking Princess Rose of Hanlely." he said.

"Oh well Rose is a lovely young princess. You know, you and her would probably make a very cute couple." Scott said to Al. The moment Scott finishes saying that sentence, Al's face darkens even more.

"Thank you, but I'm not into blondes. In fact, I've never even dated anyone before. It's a special promise Izzy and I made to each other. Which I just remembered Izzy," he said turning to me, " we still haven't done the second half of the promise." he said. I look at him trying to remember the second half, and then I remembered.

When Al and I made this promise to each other, we were very little and thought that we were going to get married. So, not only did we promise to not date anyone until we were 16, but to have our first kiss together once we were both 16.

"Al, look, I know we made that promise and we haven't broken it. But the second part, I think we need to break." I said. Al was my best friend, but I wanted my first kiss to be with someone I wanted to date and had strong feelings for. Now I do have strong feelings for Al, but just not in that way.

"I understand Izzy. I want you to be happy. So if you really don't like the second half of the promise, we don't have to keep it." he said smiling. 

"Well, we better go to sleep, tomorrow we have the ball." Aria said. All of my roommates started heading to the door. I then turn to Al.

"I'll see you tomorrow at the ball." I said.

"Sounds like a plan." he said smiling. Then he turns to the door and walks out of the lounge.

"So, the ball starts at 8 so I shall come to get you at 7:30." Scott said.

"Sounds great." I said. I then started towards the door when Scott's hand reaches out and grabs mine.

"I know you were lying when you said Al wasn't your boyfriend. I mean, you two were pretty much acting as if you had been dating for years." he said.

"Scott, I told Al that I couldn't wait to see girls flirt with him. Al is single and so am I." I said. Scott comes closer to me to the point where there's only 3 inchs between our faces.

"Well from what I could tell Al doesn't want to be single anymore. And it seems like he was flirting with you." Scott says. He then touches my check lightly. "Be careful this year Izzy." He said. Then he walked out of the room.

Something about this seemed familiar..........it happened years ago.

*flashback*

It was 6pm and the woods had a slight breeze coming through them. There was only a week left until I started seventh grade year. Al's family and mine were camping out. I had gone out to get some firewood and got lost.