Chapter 17: Brutal End

Second Person P.O.V

You, Laxus and the Thunder God Tribe knock around the flame dragon as a coordinated team. The bad part is, you feel your mind slipping faster in to darkness the more you use your powers. You've never pushed it this far and you're hanging on by the thinnest of threads.

Give in, your inner devil growls. The cage is rattling and the latch is coming undone, but you would rather die than let the devil consume you. Not again.

"Lightning Dragon Slayer Roar!"

"Holy Devil Slayer Rage!"

"Dark Ecriture: Pain!"

"Go babies!"

"Fairy Bomb: Gremlin!"

The attacks hardly phase the dragon and your anger over being so powerless isn't subsiding the darkness. Suddenly, Natsu tumbles from the sky and lands on the dragon's back. Natsu starts inhaling the flames and you're left clueless as to what to do now.

"What in the hell do you think you're doing?!" Laxus yells.

"Eating flames, what does it look like? Get over to the castle. Wendy needs your help!" Natsu commands.

"Although she is a Dragon Slayer, she is young and inexperienced," Evergreen comments.

"Yeah, it can be really tough all on her own," Bickslow says.

"Plus, Natsu can handle this," Freed says.

"Agreed."

"Hey! You sure you can handle this one?" Laxus asks.

"Yeah. Once I eat him, I'll have tons of power!" Natsu confirms.

You exchange looks with your four partners and take off toward the castle. The carnage is clear as wizards of all guilds battle against dragons to the best of their abilities, but it doesn't look to be enough. You start to wonder what the aftermath will be of this war and how it will effect the world.

As soon as you arrive at the castle, you're greeted with a green dragon named Zirconis. Laxus lunges and attacks multiple times, but the dragon reflects his attacks and Laxus is knocked to the ground. You run over and help him up. He nods, saying he's all right.

"Raging Bolt!" Laxus yells.

"Holy Devil's Zeroth Destruction Bow!" you call, letting the familiar bow shape your hands with almost the last of your power.

At this point, there's only two options: let your magic energy drain and die, or give in to your devil. To you, there are really no options because you know which you're going to choose and it pains you.

You aim your bow and continuously fire projectiles as Laxus attacks it with his lightning and Wendy with her wind. The Thunder God Tribe were ordered to stay away and let the three of you handle it.

"Is that all you've got?" Zirconis taunts.

"I'm just warming up," Laxus sneers.

You jump backwards and kneel on the ground away from the fight. You breath heavily and begin coughing furiously. Blood splatters from your mouth, but nobody notices because they're too busy watching the dragon.

I can't hold on much longer.

"I never liked the taste of male humans, but this little girl looks tasty," Zirconis says and darts at Wendy. Wendy seems to freeze up at the sudden attack, but someone steps in front of her at the last minute as Zirconis's jaw snaps down.

Laxus.

"No! Laxus!" you cry. Your heart shatters and stomach drops to your feet at the sight. It happened so fast that you feel yourself go in to shock. Laxus is dead.

A flash of light suddenly blinds your vision and time seems to be set back to only minutes ago. Was that... a vision?

You watch as Wendy jumps out of the way of the dragon and she and Laxus combine their roars. You jump to your feet and mix in your own roar with there's as the last of your magic energy drains from your body.

Do you give in? the beast from within asks.

No, you whisper in your mind. I won't let it happen again. I choose... death.

After your attack, you stumble backwards with more cuts and bruises than you thought you had and blood drips from your lip. You fall to your knees as your dark markings almost completely cover the length of your body. You clutch your head as a pounding headache takes over.

Your ears just pick up the fireball plummeting from the sky and crashing into Eclipse, causing a massive explosion. The dragons begin to glow and soon evaporate in to thin air.

As darkness clouds your vision, a memory flashes through your head.

~~~

It's a warm summer day in the country of Sin in the year X784. Your fourteen-year-old self is sitting on a park bench, soaking in the sun's rays. You hear someone sit next to you and cock your head to see your mother smiling at you.

"What are you thinking about?" she asks in a melodic voice.

You breathe through your nose and look at her seriously. "Mom, what happens if we die while trying to take down this guild?" Your voice is shaky and nervous.

Your mother grasps your hand and gives you a warm look. "We won't, but if we do, it would be an honorable defeat."

"How is being killed by a devil honorable?" you question.

"Because it is our destiny to take down the evil of this world, but sometimes it takes us out instead. Either way, it's how it's meant to be. Dying in the line of duty is better than being killed by an ambush," she clarifies.

"But isn't it dishonorable to be killed by the enemy?"

"Never. It shows you tried and gave it everything you had. Devil Slayers are a special breed. We are born to make the word a little better, and if we die trying, at least we had the courage to try in the first place. Anyone that has the bravery to face a demon, God, dragon, or a devil, is pretty special."

"Thanks, mom. I love you," you say as you both stand up and embrace each other.

"Dinner's ready!" your father calls from the house.

"I'll race you," your mother challenges.

"You're so on," you accept and dash off toward the house.

~~~

Yeah, you forgot all about that. Dying at the hands of an enemy.

It may not be a devil, but hey, being taken down by a dragon... What a way to die.

And as your lungs fill up with blood, your spine gives away, and your breath rips from your body, your closing eyes catch a glimpse of Laxus.

Laxus. I wish we had time. I wish we could be together longer. I wish... I could tell you how much you mean to me, how special of a person you are. But our time has run out.

You faintly pick up the screams of your name and your body being caught and craddled in familiar arms.

I guess this is my ending.

A/N: I'm having such a hard time writing Chapter 19 right now, and you guys will find out why. I've been trying to write it for two days and it's slowly killing me ;)