Chapter 9: Departure

Month Three

Second Person P.O.V

Saying the past month has been hard is an understatement. It's been brutal. Ever since your almost-kiss with Laxus, it's been awkward. The Thunder God Tribe have no idea what happened that night under the stars, but they know something happened.

Today is the day you're leaving to meet up with Crime Sorciere and scout out Crocus before the guilds arrive for the Grand Magic Games. The bits of regret linger in your gut for not kissing Laxus when you got the chance because you probably will never get that opportunity again.

"I think I got all my stuff," you announce, zipping up your duffle.

"I can't believe you're already leaving. It feels like just yesterday we were all sitting around the campfire eating smores and singing kumbaya," Evergreen says jokingly.

"I'll see you guys around the games and I'll certainly be watching Fairy Tail win," you reply.

"That's for sure," Freed chimes in.

"Has anyone seen Laxus?" Bickslow suddenly asks.

The four of you look at each other and shake your heads. A twisting feeling settles in your gut that he won't be there to say goodbye for the time being, but you understand. You let him get too close and now you're both crumbling.

You sling your duffle over your shoulder and look at the people you've come to know as close friends. You have grown to trust all of them these past three months and their friendship is something you'll always cherish.

The four of you come together in a group hug, but it doesn't feel complete without a certain oversized Dragon Slayer. You break a part and you look around one more time for Laxus, but he's nowhere in sight. Suddenly, an idea strikes you.

You wordlessly stride straight into the forest and maneuver your way through the trees until you arrive at the clearing where so many memories have been made over a short period of time.

Surely enough, standing straight ahead near the edge of the cliff is Laxus with his signature black fur coat draped across his shoulders. You watch as the abandoned sleeves blow in the wind along with Laxus's blond hair.

"Were you planning on saying goodbye?" you speak up.

"Yeah," he shortly replies and turns around, taking a few steps in your direction.

You take a deep breath and look into his eyes."Sorry for how weird things have been lately. I take full responsibility."

"I don't blame you. Let's just forget anything ever happened," he suggests with that neutral face you hate to the core.

Your heart aches at the words, but you suck it up and nod. "Agreed. I guess I'll see you in a week."

Laxus nods and you turn your back, waltzing back into the woods and past the Thunder God Tribe. Don't turn around, don't turn around, you repeat to yourself, so you don't and continue down the mountain.

✻ ✻ ✻

You strap on your cape as you exit the train in to the city of Crocus. Not once during the train ride did your thoughts wander from Laxus, which is dangerous. If you're more worried about him than your mission, then you'll fail.

Of course fans have gathered early for the biggest event of the year and, although you've never participated, everyone knows you like to watch the spectacle. You've been offered to announce, but you refused for the simple reason that they wanted you to do it with Jason from Sorcerer Weekly.