Chapter 2: Left in the Dust

You stare at each other for a fraction of a second before the two of you simultaniously ask, "What are you doing?"

Your P.O.V

"Step back, pipsqueak. I'm trying to do a job here," the large man who could only be a couple of years older than me directs.

"So am I, and I suggest you step off before you get hurt," I spat.

"No way. This is Fairy Tail's job," he sneers.

Someone's getting angry.

"Fairy Tail? Please, this request is from my client."

"He was our client first," he retorts.

We're now fully facing each other, and although he towers over me, I refuse to cower away from his gaze. We both don't seem to notice the fast approaching creature heading straight for us.

"We'll see about that. Don't get hurt," I smirk, my ears focusing on the sound of cracking rocks being crushed heavy feet. Right before the beast hits us, I jump backwards and watch as the rude dude's eyes widen before he does the same.

I feel my body relax and let my magic powers come forward. Black tattoo-looking marks cover almost the entire skin of my arms and flare up my neck. To me, they actually look pretty badass in a fight and it takes too much effort to keep them at bay.

The man's eyes widen as my feet gently touch the ground and his does the same. I keep the cocky smirk etched onto my face as I turn and charge at the beast. We seem to be thinking the same thing, except this guy uses lightning magic to fly ahead of me.

Stupid bolt boy.

I conjure up my energy and zip my way after the monster as fast as I can, but the freakishly large dude gets there first and is already beating it up. I suddenly remember what Porlyusica told me about stealing the jobs from Fairy Tail and decide to take the back seat on this one until he needs help.

I stand with my hands on my hips and observe the wizard's powers. I can feel the immense amount of magic energy radiating from his body even from this distance away and I realize that this guy could have more power than me, which says a lot.

The thing is, this creature is an SS-Class monster based on its size and body type: steel shell, rock-solid hooves. It won't be an easy defeat.

I watch as bolt boy tries to use his magic continuously, but lightning isn't too effective on something made of rock. My magic probably wouldn't do any better, but at least I wouldn't be getting as angry as he is.

"Lighting Dragon Slayer Roar!" he shouts, sending a huge wave of magic energy toward the beast.

It does little to effect the tortoise, but does seem to stun it. I sigh and suddenly remember that I have other jobs I need to get to today, so this needs to end now. I take action and dart straight at its face a.k.a its weak spot.

"Holy Devil Slayer Rage!" I say, inhaling the surrounding elements and directing them toward the unprotected part of the beast.

The creature howls in pain and eventually drops to the ground in a lifeless heap. I sigh and turn around to my shocked looking competitor.

Haha, puns.

"Now that's a roar," I gloat while letting the markings disappear from my body.

"I've never heard of a devil slayer before," the guy admits and crosses his arms under his large coat.

"Well, now you have and you're meeting the best of the best. Respectively. (Y/N) (L/N)," I introduce myself.

"Laxus Dreyar," he replies curtly.

"Oh! You're Makarov's grandson," I realize. And Ivan's son, but I probably shouldn't say that.

"Yeah. No surprise that's how people know me," he sighs.

"The only reason I know is because, when I last visited the Fairy Tail guild, they were telling me about a few of the members and your name popped up as his grandson." I shrug.

"Wait, why were you in our guild?" Laxus asks suspiciously.

"Just to watch over them. You guys have plummeted down the tower of respect, but you will always have mine. It's rare to find guilds with the type of bond Fairy Tail shares."

"You're right," he replies almost sadly but keeps his stern and neutral face plastered on. "What guild are you in?"

I shake my head. "I'm an independent wizard." I pause, taking a second to reveal my special emblem that resembles a bird wing. "It's something new the Magic Council came up with a few years ago."

"And people actual hire you?"

I laugh. "You, sir, are in the presence of one of the highest paid wizards in Earthland. I'm surprised we haven't crossed paths sooner, considering you seem to have a little magic power yourself."

"I've been busy trying to get our clients back since it seems you stole them all," he accuses somewhat angrily.

"Okay, bolt boy. I'll tell my former Fairy Tail clients that you guys would do a way better job than I ever could."

Laxus seems to be taken aback by my offer. "You would give them up that easily?" he questions incredulously, ignoring my little nickname.

I turn around and start waltzing in the direction I came from, but not before looking over my shoulder with a sly smile. "I can't give up something that was never mine to begin with."

Without waiting for a response, and not really caring for one, I dash off back to the train station and make a mental note to dig out my client list and give them a call.

I guess sometimes that gut-feeling means something good. Who knew?

✻ ✻ ✻

"Okay, thank you very much," I say, hanging up my portable lacrima as I walk through the woods at the end of the day.

I just got done talking to my former clients to refer them back to Fairy Tail, saying my list was getting packed and Fairy Tail is their best option. They all put up a little fight, but I gave them my word that they wouldn't be let down.

I trudge down the trail leading back to Porlyusica's after finishing my last mission of the day and it's nearly pitch black outside. I swing open the door and am greeted with Porlyusica in the same spot I left her in so many hours ago.

"Hey, I ran into a member of Fairy Tail earlier," I say, getting straight to the point.

"Oh, who?" she asks.

"Laxus Dreyar."

Porlyusica immediately stops stirring the pot and slowly turns toward me. "Stay away from that boy."

"Why? He seems perfectly harmless," I chuckle, sauntering over to the stairs.

"He's far from harmless. You've been up against that boy's father, Ivan, and you know about the things he's done."

"But Laxus isn't his father," I point out.

"Yes, but he has done dishonorable things that could quite possibly be worse than what Ivan has done," Porlyusica says in barely a whisper.

"Like what?" I ponder.

"Not my story to tell. You know how I am."

I roll my eyes and continue up the staircase. I hate not being in the loop, but it's unlikely I'll ever see that guy again, so it's no big deal if I know about his past or not.

At least I hope.