Chapter 7: Equal Power

Month One

Second Person P.O.V

By the end of the train ride, Laxus said he was feeling queasy again, so you guessed the medicine lasted only a few hours.
The five of you exit the train and you're now wearing your regular clothes while your cape is stuffed into your bag. The humidity is picking up and you know the hike will only make it worse. Laxus also decided to ditch his coat and he's wearing a casual T-shirt with dark pants and boots. You're pleased that you get to sneak glances at his muscles as you walk.

You soon come to the edge of the mountain and the hour-long hike begins. Coincidentally, Bickslow, Freed, and Evergreen walk in a horizontal line a few feet ahead, leaving you and Laxus to bring up the rear.

"Why did you never join a guild?" Laxus suddenly asks.

You hesitate a moment. "I have too much responsibility to let that weight be shared with other people. I can't, no, I won't put others in danger for my own selfish reasons," you reply.

"It's not selfish to want friends. What about your parents?"

You stiffen and your next step is a forced one. "Touchy subject, Bolt Boy. I don't think we should get into that."

You peer over and see him nodding his head in understanding. Understanding because his own family life isn't entirely something he's proud of, but you already know that.

"What about Zeref? What's your fascination with him?" Is his next question.

"Confidential."

"Will you answer any question I ask?"

"Possibly."

Laxus gives up and you smile, knowing he's frustrated at the lack of information he has on you. But you know, it's better for some people to stay left in the dark.

✻ ✻ ✻

You and Laxus exchanged in random banter the rest of the way up the mountain. You were surprised at how much you were enjoying your time with the quartet, especially Laxus, which is a dangerous thing.

The Thunder God Tribe managed to find an opening with a view of the nearby town. There is a small forest opposite of the cliff where the boys are currently off getting firewood.

"Do you like Laxus?" Evergreen asks out of nowhere.

"Do you like Elfman?" you retort, remember what you've heard around Fairy Tail while they were on Tenrou Island.

"What?! N-no," she denies, her cheeks turning a dusty shade of ruby red.

"There you have your answer."

"But you guys were being all friendly the whole hike here. That's what Bickslow, Freed, and I were talking about the whole time."

Your eyes widen a fraction and you chuckle. "Funny, but we just... get each other."

"Yeah, get into each other's pants," she murmurs.

"What was that?" you demand angrily.

"Nothing!"

The boys soon return with the firewood, and although it's blazing hot out, you know you'll need it for later at night when it gets cold. They stack it off to the side while Freed prepares the fire for tonight in the middle of the circle of tents.