1st Silence

It was like a movie. A car chase between the policemen and the kidnapper. In the haste of the kidnapper to escape the manhunt, he didn't saw the trailer truck on the other side of the intersected road speeding towards them. The truck hit the driver's side, instantly killing the kidnapper and toppled the car upside down.

In the backseat were two injured teenagers, a girl and a guy. They were both half-conscious from the pain and they didn't have enough energy to crawl out of the kidnapper's car. Any minute now, the fire caused by the car will reach the exposed fuel tank and brings out a big explosion. The teenagers will fry inside if they could not escape in time.

The guy frantically thought of ways to escape with the energy he had. But the girl decided to spent her remaining strength by reaching to his cheek and pinched it hard. A familiar gesture from her that he learned to love.

"Sorry..." she mouthed and immediately pushed him out of the car with all her might.

He stumbled out of the dangerous vehicle in time of the rescuers to arrive on the site. They saw the scene and the team leader immediately shouted his order.

"Save the boy!"

Fear conquered the boy's eyes as they drag him out of the danger zone. He saw the fire creeping dangerously near the car. He saw her smiling at him with a regretful look. He saw himself reaching his hand towards her.

"Save her! Save her first! Please, save her first!" he kept on begging to them but no one listened.

In the midst of his grief, an explosion suddenly shook them all. The car erupted from the fire and burned the girl he ever loved.

"Bea!!!!!" He screamed her name till he lost consciousness from reality.

If only his parents listened to the kidnapper's request to not call the police...

If only the rescuers listened to him to save her first...

If only he didn't asked her to ran away that day...

... then he would not be suffering like this now. Because that day, that sad event, was the beginning of why he lost his voice.

"Selective Mutism," anunsyo ni Maine pagkatapos basahin ang nilalaman ng hawak na medical record. Her first case when she took Masters in Psychiatry abroad is akin to this. Kaya naman alam niya ang diagnosis dito. "Selective Mutism is a complex childhood anxiety disorder characterized by a child's inability to speak and communicate effectively in select social settings, such as school. These children are able to speak and communicate in settings where they are comfortable, secure, and relaxed." She glances down at the medical record again. "Alden Faulkerson. 27 years old. He is far from being a child anymore. He was 15 years old when that tragedy happened. 12 years na ang dumaan pero hindi pa rin ito nagsasalita. Not to his parents, not to his friends, and not even in front of his girlfriend's burial. Kaya naman walang progress sa kaso niya when they got kidnapped." 

"I want to hear his testimony, Maine..." Seryosong sabi ni Inspector Jake Ejercito. Ito ang unang case na natanggap mula ng magtrabaho ito sa pulisya. Pinasa ang case na ito mula sa isang senior inspector na na-assign sa ibang distrito. Kaya hindi madali kay Jake na bitawan ang kaso na ito. "I'm sure this is not just a mere kidnapping case. Kutob ko, may alam si Mr. Faulkerson sa tunay na motibo ng kidnapper. I need him to speak again before the court decides to close this case for good."  

"Mas lalo atang lumala ang sense for justice mo ngayon, Jake..." Napangiti si Maine. Hindi pa rin nagbago ang ugaling ito ng ex-boyfriend niya. He always concerns himself to other people's life even when there is no need to. "The result shows no severe damage in his brain, vocal cords, lungs or any parts of his body that can affect his disability in speaking. He was a normal kid with many friends before the accident. After 12 years of therapy, his previous psychiatrist deemed his case as a resistance. He is not cooperating that is why they mostly got stuck in their sessions. Kaya naman walang progress sa kalagayan niya all these years."

"I am confident with your experience and skill, you can make him speak again, Maine."

"It is hard to fix people who are emotionally pained, Jake. They may have no problem physically but their mentality is actually greatly affected by their emotions. Not anyone can understand the pain that is not visible on the outside... kaya naman mas lalo silang nahihirapan maka-recover." Bumuntong-hininga na tinignan niya uli ang medical record. "His selective mutism is not caused by anxiety. Rather, it is a trauma he built after his guilt. 12 years... Because he can only watch his first love's death, he didn't speak for 12 years. Pinaparusahan niya ang sarili. He felt guilty that he is still alive but couldn't save his girlfriend-"

"Iyan ang hindi ko maintindihan. Why does he have to feel responsible of an accident?"

"Then why did the rescuers secured his safety first than the girl? Nasa loob pa ng sasakyan ang babae pero mas inuna nilang iligtas si Mr. Faulkerson na nasa labas na ng sasakyan."

Napatiim-bagang si Jake. As expected, Maine is always this sharp. The way she looks at him right now tells him that he can't evade this question without an answer. 

"Because Mr. Faulkerson... is the only heir of FK Trading Corp. His figure is much more important than the orphan girl. They need to secure his life before anyone. That is their protocol."

"No wonder he won't cooperate in this case..."

"His parents is worried too. Dahil hindi ito nakakapagsalita, nalilimitahan ang pamamalakad nito sa kompanya. They want him to speak again before something goes wrong and steals his position as the Chief Executive. Hindi lang kami ang gusto siyang magsalita, Maine. Kaya naman, sana tanggapin mo ang kaso niya and bring him out of his guilt?"

Napatingin sa ibang customers ng cafe si Maine. Lahat sila masayang nakikipagkuwentuhan sa kaibigan, kapamilya, at kasintahan. What a lonely man... isip niya patungkol kay Alden. They want him to be cured from his trauma because of their own intentions... not because they are sincerely worried for him. 

12 years since her death... a sad smile suddenly graces her lips. And he still loves her with all his heart. Because of that love, he suffers himself in silence. Hindi ko akalaing may tao pa palang ganito kung magmahal...

"Maine, will you help us?"

Tumango siya. "Sure. I am also curious about his case too."

Most importantly, she is curious of what kind of man loves a girl this deeply. Gusto niyang makita ng personal ang sitwasyon nito ngayon, 12 years after the tragedy.

[a/n]

Medyo dark at ma-drama ang kuwentong ito. Of course, psychiatry plays a great role in here. Hindi po ako medical student or even close to that career. Kaya naman this is a work of fiction, kasi lahat ng nakalagay dito ay ayon sa nakalap kong impormasyon sa internet lamang. Sa kung sino man ang makakabasa nito, please show me your support through comment(s). Hindi po talaga ako namomotivate 'pag wala akong nababasang ganoon, honestly. Lalo na at ibang-iba ang kuwentong ito.

Please?