t h i r t y

Jongdae stood out in the cold, staring at her bedroom window, he knew this was it. He knew he had to tell her.

He stayed with her because he knew the feeling of comfort and degree of safety you can have once you have something, someone to hand onto. He felt sorry for her and slightly angry at himself, did he help her, built herself back up just to prepare her for this?

It was never her fault for leaning on him when she needed too. It was not his fault that he reached out his hand to her. Things happen and he knew better to not drop the blame on anyone. But deep within him, he knew his request was selfish. And to think he was scared to tell her with his own mouth, he kept hold of the thought that he was doing this because he was trying to not break himself. In spite that, he still felt he was selfish and only thinking of his own heart.

"I can't be your sun any longer. I'm afraid I need to fight my own battle and I don't want to burden you with what I have aside from what you already have," Jongdae let out a deep sigh, his tears already starting to pool up.

"One day, whenever that time is, I'll return as the sun you see me as. But now, I'm afraid your sun is setting," Jongdae turned away, his heart heavy trying to imagine how she would accept the reality of him having to walk away.

"I wish sunsets are a bit longer. But here's my last ounce of warmth, for my warmth will always be yours."

He walked away as the sun sets on the horizon and covering the world in darkness, "I'm sorry."

As usual, she would get out in the morning to check the mail and she found his letter to her. She expected it, she knew the contents before even reading it.

From the moment his mother called to meet her, telling her about what Jongdae was facing, she knew he will eventually take this step. She could only force out a smile at how accurate she predicted his words as she read the letter.

"He's the sun of his own world and if that sun sets, he'll need help to navigate through the night."

"Kim Jongdae, let me be your moon."