t w e n t y e i g h t

The sun was soon to set and they were taking their time, walking slowly, taking in the view of the colourful pastel rainbow of the evening. As the climbed up the pedestrian overpass, her steps were more energized than his and making her reach the top first.

She walked towards the middle of the overpass and halted her steps, turning to face the sunset. Hands against the railing, the scenery filled up her senses. She took in the view of the colours at the feet of the sky and her eardrums vibrated at the sound of the speeding train that's closing in.

Jongdae stopped from climbing up the steps and turned his gaze towards her. The realization hit him, he has to tell her sooner or later. But seeing how her smile has been growing from the small dying flame to radiating brightness that could even glow the darkness of night, he wanted to preserve that smile.

"Keep on smiling my love, please."

She finally noticed how he had stood still on the steps and stared his somewhat gloomy eyes. She called him with a tone slightly higher than usual, to make sure he heard her, "Come here! I want to take a picture of you with the pastel rainbow!"

He mouthed 'pastel rainbow' with a questioning expression as a reply and she chuckled at his response to her choice of words.

Walking up, his steps were heavy. Heavy with the weight of his thoughts. As he reached her, he hugged her making her call out his name, "Jongdae?"

"Pastel rainbow..."

"People said I was always the kind that's as bright as the sun. But I wonder, when it's near to the end, will I be as calming as the pastel rainbow at the end of the day?"