Dancing among the Stars 41

Rose hurried back to the Court as the sky began to cloud over. Thoughts swam in relentlessness in her mind. She couldn't believe she had actually wanted to know what Ralon was planning—what Chu'si had gotten herself into. It was madness, pure madness not even Ecl could muster.

She fell to her knees and bowed her head, "It was I who started this and I who shall finish it. If Ralon plans to kill me…" Rose lifted her head to stare at the great and beautiful Wyvern's Court that stood before her. Standing again, the princess looked back and squeezed the blue stone in her hand. "I'll let him."

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Namid searched for her daughter's face among the crowd. It wasn't like her to back down on a promise, but perhaps something had come up? Perhaps she was just running a little late?

Shrugging the thoughts off, she walked though the ballroom, talking with people and sharing the latest news. Finally, she sat down on a chair and sighed, the soft music floated though the air, punctured by chatter and laughter. The air was peaceful in its own accord and Namid was content to stay and listen.

Spotting Salem speaking with Nassin, she knew he wasn't very comfortable with Rose's absence as she was, but he seemed to not mind for the time being. Candlelight danced on Salem's face and Namid grinned. In the summer, she would be able to dance the Namir-da with her mate and, while she knew most of the moves from the Shadow Dancers, the Lupine dancers from her tribe, she had better arrange something with Aisha.

Poking absently at the food on her plate, she smiled. Life was so down-to-earth with the Lupine and the ways of the Court were both untamed and practical. It felt so rightliving here, amongst two very different cultures. Her body felt so balanced and she felt as if she had known these people her whole life.

Suddenly, Nassin raised his glass, his brown eyes shining with pleasure as Oliza stood beside him. "A toast" he began. Everyone held a glass by this time and others were refilling them. The wyvern nodded, continuing, "To Midwinter luck and the years to come."

Voices chorused around the room and glasses were raised. Namid smiled and took Salem's arm. "Want to dance?" she asked, setting down her glass.

Salem chuckled, "You sound giddy. Is it the atmosphere or the fact that what you just drank was alcoholic?"

"Both, I suppose." She replied as Salem whirled her across the floor.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Rose knocked on the door to Nyesh's rooms and sighed as she got no answer. "Nyesh." She called. Hearing scuffling she bowed her head as the door opened. Nyesh stepped back to let her enter. "So you have really changed your mind, then?" he asked. Rose nodded, entering, and took the pins from her hair, letting it, fall loose down her back. "You knew I would."

Falling into the bed sheets, she laughed and Nyesh grinned as he sat on the edge, looking down at her, his ears ringing with the sweet sound of her laughter. Silently, he smoothed the hair from her face and bent down, "You know what?" he whispered.

She looked into his eyes and saw what she wished to give to him: Herself.

She wanted to, yet what would the Court say? What would her parents say?

Nyesh grinned and brought her out of her thoughts, "I love you."

She kissed his lips softly, "Isn't it obvious?"

Nyesh cupped her cheek in his hand, and kissed her so deeply, she though her heart were fit to explode. It pounded hard under her breast and, when they broke apart, both gasping softly for air, she felt herself wanting more. Yet she refused the feeling and pushed it away. When she sat up, she knew he felt the same for in his eyes was an emotion she knew too well.