Dancing among the Stars part 16

Rakab's POV

I sighed deeply, and ran a hand through my hair, beginning to walk back to Wyvern's Court. "I should have just left her alone!" "But no!" I kicked the pathway in frustration. "I just had to love her more then a friend!"

I scoffed, "Thieves can't afford to love. They only love in vanity…" I growled and made my way to the Court. Why didn't I just leave this damn place right now?

Because I loved her

Why couldn't I just leave?

I have to protect her…

Out of Rakab's POV

Salem paced outside the infirmary door, garnet eyes dark with worry. He had been pacing the floor for ten minutes and Bialas had followed him as his guard, "You're going to wear a hole in the floor if you keep doing that." The viper commented dryly.

The cobra turned angrily on the viper, "It's not your mate in there is it, Bialas?"

Bialas shook his head, "Nope. I'm just saying—"

"Keep your sayings to yourself, if possible." Salem replied, through gritted teeth. Bialas just nodded casually.

Finally, an avian nurse opened the door.

Salem turned to the woman, "Is she alright?"

The nurse held up a hand, "More then, my prince." "You may go see her now, she is awake."

Bialas smiled tightly and watched as Salem went to Namid. They looked so happy, as if Rakab's love for Namid had never existed. The she-wolf grinned and kissed her pair bond on the cheek, and her voice was quiet when she spoke: "Salem, I have wonderful news…you're going to be a father."

Bialas turned and walked down the halls, a somber expression on his face. His leader was not going to like this.

Rakab stormed through the halls of Wyvern's Court, grief in his heart and tears in his eyes. He had hid in the shadows, near the infirmary, and heard everything. So Namid had become pregnant with Salem's child? The thought sickened him. She couldn't have a serpent child in her womb; it could most likely kill her.

And he wasn't just going to stand around and let that happen. He had a duty, as her friend, to let her live.

But then he thought of her love for the cobra prince and of the indifference towards him, and cursed, "Let her die." He said this with tears streaming down his face. He ripped open the door to her chambers and stomped inside, his anger building as he snarled and destroyed the room, ripping the draperies and tipping over a desk and chair, littering papers across the room.

Violet eyes flashing, he ran from the room, dodging men and women in the halls as the blood roared in his ears and his heart pounded painfully against his ribs. He was going mad with heartbreak and he knew it. He would embrace madness if it would only take away his pain.

He shifted into his black wolf form, running through the market, the wind whistling in his ears as he ran. Near the edge of the marketplace, he shifted back to human form and stumbled over to the scant cover of the trees, before finally collapsing from exhaustion.

Gliding over to perch on a branch, Yrel shook his head, and gestured to Sheila and Senka who emerged from the trees and carried their Mana to the wagon and settled him inside. Sheila lit a lantern and winced when she saw various small cuts on Rakab's face and hands, caused by his own fury. The emerald boa quickly cleaned and bandaged them. Afterwards, she wrapped a blanket over him and left him to sleep.

When he awoke the next morning, the events of last night came in a rush and he cursed, ripping the blanket off himself. He saw the sunlight through the large blanket that acted as a door and knew he had slept into the afternoon.

Hopping down from the wagon, he grabbed an apple and began eating, contemplating as he did. Why had he acted the way he had? Why had he gone out of control?

Sheila saw the inner battle that raged in her leader and sighed softy, shaking her head, "Give it time, Rakab." "It's understandable that you would be upset."

Rakab swallowed, "I wasn't just upset, Sheila, I destroyed her chambers after I found out…" he trailed off, uncertain if he should continue.

"Found out what?" inquired the boa

"She's pregnant with the prince's child…I couldn't stand it, I was angry."

Sheila sighed deeply, "I understand, my Mana." "Give her time…a year or two perhaps and move on."

"Move on?"

The emerald boa placed a hand on the thief's shoulder, "Be grateful for the times you had, and choose another…as she has."

Rakab nodded, dejectedly.

Ralon smirked, "Love givin' you troubles again?"

"Leave him, Ralon." Senka ordered, coming from a tent.

Ralon rolled his eyes and stalked off, muttering to himself. No one saw him slip a small vial into Sheila's pack as he left.

"I'm going to the Court as a healer for Namid. It's best for you—all of us, if I keep a lookout for her during this time…"

"Alright." Rak nodded again.

"Give it a few years." The woman reminded him as she headed in the direction of Wyvern's Court, a bag slung over her shoulder.