The Shapeshifter: Surviving the Secrets part 6

If you let me, I could,

I'd show you how to build your fences,

Set restrictions,

Separate from the world,

The constant battle that you hate to fight just blame the limelight.

Don't look up, just let them think there's nowhere else you'd rather be!

And now you can't turn back,

Because this road is all you'll ever have.

-Fences © Paramore. It's an awesome song :D

"So where did you get off to?"

A flurry of hands.

"Really? Cool. Find anything?"

More quick signals. Gideon nodded as he fixed his eyes on them, brain working in overdrive as he struggled to remember what they meant.

One eyebrow raised, he raised his gaze to his brother. "You found a duck paddling in a pool? In the library?"

Luke glared at him and the twin held up his hands in defeat. "Okay, okay, sorr-ee. I just don't know what-" (More flurry of hands, this time on Gideon's part) "-that means."

It was good to see that the boy was a bit more upbeat after visiting Dax. He had reported back; 'Huge scar, honestly, it was massive, and he's gonna have to wear crutches for a few weeks, and he's gonna get outta P.E., lucky fella, and basically he's fine."

Maddy hid a grin as she remembered how, soon after, Gideon had been caught raiding the food cupboards in the kitchen. It was true, chocolate made everything better.

"So, what's he say?" Lisa asked casually now, painting a glimmering nail varnish onto her already perfect nails and examining them critically.

"Well." Placing a hand to his temples, Gideon frowned in deep concentration. "He says that he was at the library…searching for…I dunno, paranormal activity in the 1930's?"

Luke nodded in encouragement.

"Right. And then he found this whopper of a book and spent all afternoon reading it? Was it any good?" he added. "Any really really gory stuff?"

Luke shook his head quickly.

"Aw."

It was weird. Gideon was so jolly and carefree and cool, and there was his twin brother, nerdy and bookish. And yet they got along together like chalk to a board.

"Uh. Huh. Interesting," Lisa murmured, not really finding it interesting at all. However, she appeared to be in a good mood, so obviously she was making an effort. "Hey, Mia, what colour do you think I should do this hand?"

As Mia crawled over to help Lisa with her makeover, Maddy took the time to focus on the rest of the Colas' in the room. Alex and Jacob were reading books, occasionally bursting into sniggers; Clive was lecturing Barry on how he didn't complete his run around the field, and Jennifer was doing some late homework. It all seemed peaceful and calm.

"Hey, Mads."

The greeting had come from Jacob (-or was it Alex?-), who was now beckoning her over with a hand. Confused, Maddy wandered over to them as they glanced suspiciously around the room.

They turned back to her as one. "Wanna play truth or dare?"

Maddy stopped in her tracks. "Er…" Weren't they a little bit too old for truth and dare? "Um…I-"