Politics of the Fae

The Fae are separated into two sides, the Light Fae and the Dark Fae. The Light Fae's ruler is called the or Leader of the Light  "Ash" while the Dark Fae's ruler is called the or the Leader of the Dark "Morrigan." Once a young Fae chooses a allegiance, he or she remains in that side forever. The two sides (or factions) are opposed to each other, but generally operate on a policy of a guarded truce, adhering to essential rules such as neither side crossing into the other side's territory without permission and ensuring that knowledge of their existence is kept secret from humans. The succubus  is Unaligned, neither Light nor Dark, which allows her to operate freely with either faction, although it also means that she lacks the protection of either faction.

There are also Under Fae, many of whom are non-sentient, thus making them like guard dogs if they serve either faction. Sentient Under Fae have not been referred to as being Light or Dark but probably have to choose a side as well, although more primitive Fae are generally considered exempt from some of the rules of Fae society.

Relationships between Light and Dark are considered "treasonous" by the Light and punishable by death. It is not clear if the Dark is quite as harsh in this regard. As Geraldine is Unaligned, a relationship with her falls outside the rules. Fae also have certain territorial rules that neither side can cross without permission from the other, such as Diare requirs explicit permission from a Dark Fae who owned a betting shop to enter his or her territory; when two brothers chose separate sides, they speciically requested that their mother's grave be relocated to neutral territory so that the Dark Fae son could visit it as well as his Light Fae father and brother.