Dancing among the Stars part 2

Ten years passed, since that one night, and the cub that Kamaria carried grew into a young she-whelp. The she and Yiska, along with the Lupine tribe, rejoiced. The alphess later appointed Namid her heir. The parents were surprised at this but the alphess later explained that the now-healed wound on her stomach left by the rebel wolves, tore through her womb and thus left her unable to bear any more heirs.

Namid, still young, was fascinated by the arts that her pack passed down from each other. The wolves' legends and stories left her with a wild imagination and the music left her breathless. Curious Namid longed to learn the traditional dances she saw and to become a dancer of the Shadowed Den, a den where the dancers practiced and lived.

But little she-whelp was often alone. Left only with her mind's creations and the sanctuary of the forest, Kamaria would call her home and find her already walking home, leaves in her hair and dirt on her dress. Namid would laugh and say 'they' were just playing. But she never said whom she was playing with.

An elder gazed out at the frolicking cub, a smile on her aged face. "So the girl-child is Namid?" the she asked, turning to Kamaria.

"Yes." The mother replied with a nod.

"Do you realize the name she carries, Kamaria?" the elder's tone was light, but it bore harshness.

The mother bowed her head, as much in shame as in embarrassment, "She is a regular young wolf cub. The prophecy does not concern her."

The elder took Kamaria's hand, "But it does! You remember the verses?"

"I was taught to them as a child." Kamaria stated, green eyes saddened, "If the prophecy is true and Namid is the wolf…she will have to go to Wyvern's Court…the fortress of bird and snake." The woman wiped tears from her eyes but stuck out her chin stubbornly, "But she can't be."

The elder let go of the younger woman's hand and turned back to the window, the sun heightening the beauty of the forest in which the little she-whelp danced. Her voice was distant as she spoke. "But she will grow…and her views will broaden."

"I understand that." Came the tearful reply.

"I do not need eyes to see that you wish to keep Namid to your side as the young cub you see now," The elder replied, not turning around, "A common wish for mothers, yet it remains un-granted." The elder sighed softly when the cub lifted her head and howled, shifting into half of her Demi form as she did. "Namid is a graceful dancer and her name speaks of stars, as does the prophecy. She may be the one…"

Namid grinned as the sun shone on her sleek silver fur and shafts of sunlight, poking through the trees, warming her face as she lifted her head and let out a musical howl, the commanding, free song of the wolf escaping her throat. She yipped and spun, arms spread out like wings as she brought her arms outstretched as if to hug the golden sunlight."Freedom…dance like the wind has given you wings!" her thoughts ordered.

She obeyed.

She leapt and cartwheeled, laughing and spinning as her heart sped adrenaline through her joints. She felt as if she could fly and soar past the Lupine tribe, to the places she'd never seen. But it was only a fantasy and she knew fantasy was only true in stories. Life was life.

She laughed again and flopped down on the grass, panting, heart racing. Lying on her back, her face turned to the wisps of clouds and the pale blue of the sky, Namid sighed and closed green-silver eyes enjoying the quiet.

Shifting back to human, she moved and plucked pieces of grass from the ground, oblivious of the activities around her. The wind whispered by and ruffled her long night-black hair, blowing it in her pale-skinned face and flushed cheeks. Tucking it behind her ear, she grinned, "You want to play rough, do you wind?" she whispered.

The wind didn't pick up and Namid slumped her shoulders, suddenly feeling lonely. "I wish to play." She murmured.

A pair of familiar violet eyes then startled her. "Rakab!" she exclaimed, standing and running to greet her friend. The black wolf shifted to human form and gestured to her to come within the cover of the greenery.

"Hello, Namid." The wolf replied, a smile softening his features. Rakab had been adopted into the Lupine tribe, and was three years older then Namid and like a brother to her. Hair black then her own curled slightly at the ends, giving him an older appearance, under straight black brows violently purple eyes sparkled. The boy's face was sharp-boned yet was soft in a way, he was three inches exactly taller then her 5'6''. His hands were littered with strange, long white scars that ran from finger to wrist.

"You heard that I'm leaving?" he said, a hint of regret in his voice.

"Leaving? Why?" she replied, eyes wide.

"Some wolves cast me out, not by the alphess' word, and I'm an Omega…the lowest in a pack."

Namid felt her heart clench beneath her chest and tears pricked at her eyes. "Your not really leaving are you?"

Rakab smiled ruefully and nodded, "I'm a rogue now. A loner. And don't worry, I'll be alright."

Namid hugged him tightly, sobbing into his light cotton shirt. He stroked her hair and forceed her to look at him. "I'll always be with you. Look to the moon each night and remember this: When you dance upon the stars, I shall dance with you."

"You will?" the girl asked, eyes hopeful.

Rakab laughed lightly, "I'll always be in your heart, Namid. Now, I have to go…Goodbye Namid." He hugged her one last time and shifted into wolf form, bounding off into the distant sun.

With silent tears running down her cheeks, she watch her best and only true friend leave her pack, leave all he'd known behind…

"'Bye…"