Dancing among the Stars 27

A/N: Oliza, and her mate, Nassin, are Rose's adoptive aunt and uncle while Chu'si is her adoptive cousin. I know Oliza isn't Salem's sister, but in a sense, she seems that way. So, for simplicity's sake, I've made Oliza, Nassin and Chu'si related to Rose in a close, family-type way. Hope that makes sense.

Rose sat down at the table, across from Namid and beside Chu'si, who was speaking with the wyvern queen. Looking stunning in avian gold and serpiente red, Oliza sat, hands folded in her lap, and listening quietly. "Well you know, Chu'si, men will say things they do not mean sometimes." She replied to her daughter's earlier statement.

The wolf-cobra rolled her eyes and took a sip of her fruit juice; she had no time for men. Dressed in a modest gown of silver and blue, Rose thought that, to attract men to her by way of scantily dressing and beauty, was a silly way to meet them.

"Let Talen have his space, Chu'si." Rose interjected, "He doesn't need you to fawn over him all the time."

Chu'si gave Rose a look, "Like you'd know better." "You probably pick a thief for your mate if he was attractive enough and had a good taste in books."

Oliza frowned, "Chu'si."

Chu'si's father, a attractive, serious wyvern named, Nassin, took her shoulder, "Now, Chu'si, that's no way to treat your cousin."

The wyvern princess turned to her father, "Adopted cousin, Father."

"But your cousin nonetheless." Nassin replied, with a stern look.

"We aren't even related. Only on Mother's side." Chu'si insisted.

Namid inwardly winced at the discussion, and she bowed her head, not saying anything.

Rose sighed softly and bowed her head, "Excuse me, for a moment." and gathered up her skirts, closing the door behind her as she left. What did Chu'si know? She went through men like changing weather! And she had no right to insult her heritage like that.

The princess heard the callings of her mother, "Rose?" "Rose!"

She whirled around, "What is it, Mother?" her tone was like ice.

Namid caught up with her, "Chu'si didn't man to insult you like that—"

"Then what did she mean?"

"She meant—Rose it's my fault." Namid looked up into her daughter's eyes and continued, "When Chu'si told that to you, she was also referring to me. In more ways then one."

"Why?" Rose replied, confused.

"I—Years before you were born, Rose, I lived with the Lupine tribe, my people. Well, there I also met a friend. Rakab was his name, and"—Namid swallowed hard—"soon he was driven out of the tribe, for reasons not even the gods knew, and I never saw him again…" "Until, while I was traveling here, he found me and told me that he loved me."

"Really?"

"He did."

Namid sighed as she walked with her daughter down the halls, "I told Rakab that we couldn't be lovers, that we had duties, but for the next few days, I was able to love him and soon we became lovers. I wanted him as my mate, but I knew it was impossible for I had an alliance to keep." "But then, after I came to Wyvern's Court and became your father's mate, Rakab remained as my guard."

"Where is he now?" Rose asked.

Namid smiled slightly, "He was soon captured by other thieves after I became pregnant with you and for seven months he was missing." "I worried over him constantly and for another sixteen years I waited…but he hasn't come back until two nights ago."