Chapter 12

We're almost done with the movie. Cami's laying down with her head in my lap and I have my arm around her. She cried forever when Rue died, and she's been in my lap ever since. I can feel her steady breathing, it's comforting.

Cami jumps with every scary event. She's screamed so many times, it's amazing she hasn't lost her voice. Right now, we're at the part where the weird dogs are trying to kill them. Cami's holding onto my hand for dear life, I think I might lose all circulation. Her breathing has quickened, she's really scared.

“It's just a movie,” I remind her, “It's okay.”

“It's so life like though! I'm like this every time I watch this movie! It's like I haven't even seen it before!”

I laugh, “You would've been the first one to die if you were in the Hunger Games.”

“I definitely would've. Especially with no food! I wouldn't survive!”

After the movie ends, we're both laying on a blanket in the grass, looking up at the sky. I'm pointing out all the different stars and constellations.

“You see that one right there?” I ask her, “That one's my favorite. It shines the brightest every night. It's always there, every single night. It never fades or disappears. You can always know where to find it.”

“It's like a best friend,” she whispers.

“Yeah, I guess so.”

“I'm naming it Marcel.” She looks over at me and smiles, “That way I'll always know where to find you.”

I smile, “You're brighter than any of those stars.”

“Yeah, right,” she says smiling.

“I mean it. I don't have to name a star after you because you already are one.”

Her smile widens as she looks back up at the sky.

“You saved me, Cam,” I whisper.

She looks over at me, “You saved me too.”

I look over at her in confusion. How'd I save her? She seems to sense my confusion.

“When my dad died,” she says still looking up at the stars, “Everything changed. My mom cried nonstop and Sam didn't talk for two weeks. I had it the worst, though... He was in a car crash. I was in the car with him... I didn't die though. I only had one surgery,” she whispers, tears starting to fill up in her eyes, “For two months, I would wake up every night remembering the car crash in a nightmare. I had anxiety every day... Then I moved here. And I met you... I didn't have anymore nightmares. I remembered what it felt like to have fun...”

I hold her hand and rub my thumb up and down on her skin, “I didn't know that-” she cuts me off.

“Thank you,” she whispers, showing a smile, “Look at me, I'm a mess. It's your birthday, I'm not supposed to be telling a sob story,” she says, wiping her eyes and giggling.

“It's okay. I don't mind. It's good to let it out, I'm glad you told me.”

She's giving me pieces to her puzzle. I feel like it's almost solved.

*

I wake up in the morning, still laying on the grass with Cami beside me. I debate waking up Cami, but she looks so peaceful and cozy. Her head is nuzzled into my chest and her cheeks are rosy. There's a faint smile on her lips. I smile as I think back to last night, it was the best birthday ever.

*

“I still can't believe you have tattoos and abs,” Cami says when I walk into the kitchen after my shower. I'm just wearing a pair of sweatpants.

I smirk, “Someone may try to really beat me up, but if they punch my stomach they'll hit these,” I says laughing.

She shakes her head and smiles, “Where's your glasses?”

“My mom picked up my contacts last night, so I figured I'd wear them today.”

“You didn't tell me you were getting contacts! How do they feel?”

I shrug, “It's weird putting them in but now they're fine.”

I take some of the pancakes Gemma made and sit down next to Cami.

“Last night was fun,” she says, “Thank goodness I told my mom I'd probably sleep here, she would've been so mad. She's bringing me some clothes later.”

“Oh yeah, I forgot about your punishment... Tonight should be a lot of fun too.”

“I know, I can't wait!”

Next chapter is the concert, yay! Something interesting happens, you'll have to wait and see! I hope you liked this chapter! I can't believe I got 3k more reads while I was asleep, thank you!! All your comments are so amazing and I love you all. <3