Chapter 42

Cami's POV

I wake up to the sound of rain outside my window. I check the time, 9:00.

I feel like I'm floating on air from last night. Everything was perfect, not one flaw. I reach over to my bedside table and pick up the ring. I put it on my finger and smile.

When I walk downstairs, my mom is sitting on the couch reading the paper.

“How was last night?” she asks, looking up.

“Amazing.”

“Where was it?”

I tell her all about it. From the drive there to the drive home. I can't help but smile while reliving last night. I want to remember last night forever.

“So, what'd he get you?!” she asks when I'm done.

I hold up my hand and smile.

She catches her breath and almost chokes on her coffee.

I laugh, “Mom, it's not an engagement ring. It's just a promise ring.”

She raises her eyebrows, “Promise for what?”

“That in four years, wherever we are, we're going to meet up on my birthday.”

“Why? Neither of you are going far for college.”

“Actually, Marcel is.”

“Where's he going? It's not like we're in a huge country.”

“He's going to America,” I whisper.

“He is?”

“To Harvard...”

“Oh, sweetie...”

I swat my hand in the air, “It's fine. I'll be fine. Really,” I lie. I can't imagine him being so far, “Did any acceptance letters come for me yesterday?” I ask, changing the subject.

My mom sighs, “No, sorry...”

“Well, I'll go check now.”

I run to the mailbox, the rain drenching my pajamas. I quickly grab the mail and run back inside. Plopping down on the couch, I look for a letter addressed to me.

“Bill. Bill. Scam. Bill. This one's for me!” I shriek. It's from one of the universities I applied to!

I quickly open it and begin to read, “Cami O'Donnell, we are sorry to say you haven't been accepted...”

I stop reading and put the letter down. I sigh and my mom hugs me. I applied to five colleges, I've gotten two letters back, both saying no... I don't think I'll ever get accepted.

“Here's one,” my mom says, picking up a letter off the floor. I must have dropped it.

“I don't recognize the address it's from,” I say.

My mom shrugs and I slowly open it.

“Cami O'Donnell, we are happy to say that you have been accepted to Berklee College of Music.”

Oh my God. I got accepted!

“Congratulations!!” my mom says excitedly, hugging me tightly, “I need to call Grandma! She'll be so excited! I need to start planning a party, oh my. You're graduating on Friday. It's come so fast! My little baby's going up-”

“Wait,” I say, cutting her off, “Mom, I didn't apply to Berklee...”

My mom's shoulders slump, “What do you mean?”