Chapter 4

“Were you really going to walk this far?” Cami asks.

“I had no better option... I missed the bus and my mother works...”

“Why'd you miss the bus?”

“I, um, I, uh, I was locked in the Janitor's Closet...”

“Marcel...” She has a sympathetic look in her eyes.

I blush.

Suddenly, the car stops. I look over at Cami and she's hitting the acceleration, but nothing's happening. She curses under her breath.

“You wouldn't happen to know anything about cars, would you?” she asks.

“No... But your tire is stuck in some mud,” I tell her, looking out the window.

“Great. Here, you take the driver's seat and I'll go outside and push.”

“No, I'll go outside. It's happened to me before, I know how to fix it.”

“Are you sure?”

I nod and head outside. I grab a stick and scrape at the mud under the tire. I throw some grass and leaves on top.

“In a little bit, try driving,” I tell Cami.

She doesn't wait and tries to drive. She gets mud all over me. She looks out the window and sees me.

“Oh my God, Marcel. I'm so sorry!”

“It's, uh, it's okay. I like to look like poop.”

She starts laughing which causes me to laugh too. I look a mess and I can barely see because my glasses are all dirty.

“I'm going to stand away from the car, and that's when you try to drive,” I tell her through the laughing. I walk away and she begins to drive. The car get's out of the mud.

I hop back in the car and Cami starts laughing all over again.

“I think this should be your new look,” she says.

“I feel ten pounds heavier.”

We both can't stop laughing for the rest of the car ride. We're finally at my house, but I don't want the conversation to end, “That's my house, right there,” I say, pointing to it.

She smiles and writes something down on a piece of paper, “Here's my number. Call me, for anything. Even if you just wanna talk.”

I take it and hold it tightly, “Thank you. For everything.”

I smile as I walk up the stairs and Cami waves as she drives away. I walk inside, the happiest I've been in awhile.

“What in the world?” my mom asks when she sees me.

“Cami's car got stuck in the mud.”

“Cami?”

I smile at the thought of her, “She's a new girl at school. I think, I think she's my friend.”

My mom smiles, I haven't had a friend in years, “That's great, sweetie! Is she nice?”

“She's really nice. I just hope she stays my friend...”

“Why wouldn't she?”

“You know how I am, Mom. Nobody likes being with me, I'm a loser.”

“You are not a loser.”

“You're my mom, you're obliged to say that.”

“I think you're the smartest, kindest, most amazing kid on this planet.”

I smile, “Thanks. I'm going to go take a shower, I'm a mess.”

During my shower, I can't stop thinking about Cami. I've only known her for two days and I've talked to her more than anyone I know. After my shower, I decide to call her. I sit in my bed, nervously flipping my phone in my hand. I slowly dial her number and it rings a few times before someone picks up.

“Hello?” I hear her ask.

“Uh, is this Cami?”

“Hi, Marcel!”

I smile, “H-Hey.”

“Today was interesting,” she says, giggling, “So, why'd you call?”

“I just wanted to talk, l-like you said.”

We talked for over an hour. She's really nice.

I think I have a friend.

A friend. Wow. I never thought I'd know what it felt like to have one.

Oh my gosh, over 500 reads. Thank you so much. I hope you all like this fanfic! Don't forget to comment and vote and let me know how I'm doing. 7 votes until next chapter!! AND HAPPY 3 YEARS OF 1D!!! <3