30- Stay Alive.

Chapter 30

Derek’s P.O.V.

            I had a terrible feeling in my stomach, like something was going terribly wrong. I couldn’t help but feel that it was Nova. So I raced out into the woods, searching for her scent, and I immediately found it. I sighed, she couldn’t stay out of trouble- no, she always had to go looking for it.

            I zeroed in on Nova’ location and I finally found her. She was racing through the woods, anger radiating off of her skin, and her crossbow aimed at anything and everything. I felt another presence, and instantly knew it was the alpha. His menacing growl confirmed my statement, and I quickly ran to scare him off. He wouldn’t do anything to Nova while I was here, because he was too cowardly, I could gather that much from his scent alone. I growled at him- and he looked at me and ran away.

            Ha, who’s the big bad alpha now?

            I didn’t have the time to brag about me scaring away an alpha, or even go to Nova’s aid; because an arrow shot through my chest, and I fell to the ground at the crippling pain. I swear, I’ve been shot more this month than I had in my lifetime. And that wasn’t exactly something to brag about.

            “Derek?” She said, shock and anger filled her voice.

            I struggled to talk, mainly because I struggled to breathe. This arrow must’ve been laced with wolfsbane- and it was the kind that killed. “N- ……. No-…. Nova…” I managed to get out as black blood poured from my mouth. This was it. This was how I was going to die.

            “Damn it! Derek I didn’t mean to- I mean, I was only looking for the alp- You see he took my mother and-” She rambled out as fast as she could.

            I closed my eyes, it hurt too much to open them, “I’m….” I took another deep, ragged breath. “Going…. to die.”  I finally got out.

            Just as I said that, another menacing growl sounded off in the distance. I knew that Nova heard it too, because her anger flared up again, and she suddenly stopped freaking out at the fact that she freaking shot me! And was about to kill me. Still killing me…in fact. How come my life hasn’t flashed before my eyes? Doesn’t that happen when you die? I wasn’t sure…I’ve never really came this close to death.

            A slap across my face brought me out of my ongoing thoughts, and I slowly opened my eyes to Nova standing over me; tears in her eyes, and a blue powder in her hands. She grabbed a lighter out of her pocket, and lit the powder on fire. Harshly ripping the arrow out of my chest, she jammed the powder into the wound. I howled in blinding pain, but after that- I could feel myself healing.

            My eyes glowed blue and I looked into Nova’s no-longer sweet eyes in gratitude.

            “Don’t thank me. Because this is the one,” she stood up, pulling out her gun, “and only time I’m saving you. Next time, stay out of my way.” She walked away- towards the sound of the growl. But stopped, looking at me once more. “Or die.”