Chapter 27 Stella

I wake up from a nap a half hour before I have to go to Nathanial's office for the next test. Last night, Lamar and I watched Cartoons for an hour and a half before I fell asleep. Today, we slept in until almost 10:30 because we didn't have to go anywhere. Today has basically just been relaxing for me, Lamar went and got all of my meals for me because he insisted. I'm not sure if he did this because he didn't want me to run into Alice, or he wanted me to just relax. Probably both.

"Are you ready?" I ask Lamar.

He nods. "It isn't memory or death serum, so I'm not as stressed out. I still don't like it, but it's easier to deal with."

"Yeah," I say.

He picks me up with one arm under my knees, the other under my back. I wrap my arms around his neck due to instinct. I rest my head against his chest and close my eyes for a moment. He clears his throat. "Could you um . . . Get the door, please?" He asks. I laugh and open the door for him. I pull it shut behind us as well as lock it.

He carries me all the way to Nathanial's office. When Nathanial sees us, he doesn't look surprised. Lamar sets me down on the chair and Nathanial leaves to go get the syringe. Lamar searches the computer again until I see Nathanial coming down the hall. "Now," I say. Lamar returns to the home screen and pulls the thumb drive out of the tower, shoving it into his pocket and returning to my side.

Nathanial walks in and asks if I'm ready for the simulation. I nod. "Good," he says. "What did you think of the meeting yesterday?"

"I don't know," I say. "I thought the fact that the guy wasn't locked up already was stupid."

Nathanial nods. "I've brought it to them before but they never really got around to it. I figured if they heard more than one person say it, they would be sure to get around to it."

I take in a deep breath as I feel the needle on my neck, I stare at Lamar until I fall into the simulation.

***

Gunshots. That's all I hear. They're everywhere.

"Stella!" Lamar calls out. "Stella, wait!" I look around and see him sprinting towards me. He almost runs into me, but stops right in front of me, pulling me into a hug.

I pull out of the hug. "Lamar, what's going on?"

"There's no time to explain, we have to go now." He starts running again, pulling me along with him. We run around a corner.

"Stop," a familiar voice says.

"Alice, I know you hate her, but just let us go," Lamar says. "This whole place is falling apart."

"I will do anything I have to do to kill her, even if it means dying," she says. "Even if it means killing you."

"Alice, you don't have to do this--"

"I know she's behind you, Storm," Alice says. "Stella, come out and I'll spare your boyfriend."

I try to step out from behind Lamar, but he grabs my wrist to prevent me from doing so. I grit my teeth. "Lamar, let go of me. I'm not gonna let you die--"

"I'm not gonna let you die, Stella," he says.

"You have five seconds before I kill you both," she says. "Five."

"Lamar, I can stop her!"

"Four."

"I can too, just stay here."

"Three."

He lets go of my wrist, we both run forward, he notices that I disobeyed him. He turns around and grabs my arm. "At least stay behind me." I nod.