Chapter 4 Stella

I take a deep breath and shove the gun into my other pocket, but the man holding a gun to my skull removes them immediately. He shoves me so suddenly that I fall, completely losing my balance. He is immediately on top of me, pinning my arms and legs to the ground. His eyes are an odd shade of green, like lime green, his hair is jet black, his clothes are torn and muscles bulge down the length of his arms. I look up to see that Lamar has been stripped of his weapons as well, four people hold him back as he struggles towards me.

"Well, Lamar, we meet again," Angelina's voice says. "I apologize for this, but I just couldn't let her kill my ex-husband."

"Actually," Nate says as he stands up. "We were never officially divorced."

"Not in my book," Angelina says. She turns back to Lamar. "We will be having a short discussion and then will proceed with what we discuss. Clear?"

"No," Lamar says. "We won't be discussing anything until she is released."

"I don't know who you're talking about," Angelina says. "I have not captured anybody. Only pinned a silly little girl to the ground. We will have our discussion, or she will be raped and killed."

I thrash at her words, struggling in the man's grip. I notice that Lamar has lunged towards me, he grabs the man by his shirt and lifts him off of me, tossing him to the ground a few feet away, kicking him until he is unconscious, and snakes an arm around my waist after I have stood up.

"And how necessary was that?" Angelina asks. "It's not like you deserve her, Lamar, all she has done is put you in danger and almost gotten you killed. You deserve someone—"

"Enough!" Lamar yells. "I'm tired of you telling me things that are only lies, I don't care what you think of her. You've tried to kill her more than once, I don't see why you are still the leader of the factionless when you are only a coward from the very faction the whole factionless group hates. Or did they not know that you're from Erudite? Have you been lying to them too? How did you get into Candor, Angelina? It seems as though it would be quite a story."

"Since when do you speak to either of your parents like that?" Nate snaps. "We had a roof over your head, food on the table for every meal, a warm bed for you to sleep in at night, for years. And this is what we get?"

"It isn't much of a roof over my head when a ten year old is afraid of coming home every night from school. Or when every dinner is followed by a beating every night. When the next morning at breakfast, it is almost as though nothing had happened. The warm bed part was always a relief, although, after being told lies about how my mother had died, how it had been my fault for stressing her out so much, or getting whisked away by a tornado, and having to deal with pulling shards of glass out of the small of my back every week, cleaning up the blood with towels and sheets, it's a bit unsettling. And when the only reason I was being beaten was because my father cared more about what others thought of him and his family, and attention, and pity when his wife ran away."

"That is not true!" Nate barks. "That is a pure lie. And you know it, devil child."

"If it's a pure lie," Lamar says. "Then why do I still have the scars on my back? Why are you denying it with so much passion? And why the hell did I live in five different houses after you left for Amity?"

"I only left for Amity because I thought you would follow me!"

"How was I supposed to know you had gone to Amity? Or that you were even still alive?"

"You were supposed to be smart! No blood stains, no weapons, no proof that I had died!"

"I was ten!"