Chapter 2 Storm

I wake with her cuddled against me, my arms around her. She is still asleep, the sun has risen again, I turn my head a little to see everyone else awake, I sigh and bury my face in the back of her neck.

    I hear footsteps until someone nudges my shoulder. "Hey," it's Faith. "We all know you're awake, we'll watch over her, we just need to know what to do."

    I inhale sharply and lift my arm from her waist, rolling onto my back, I look at her, she stares back at me. "How much do you need to know?" I whisper.

    "What do we do?"

    "Just wait," I say. "When she wakes up, we'll work towards the gate, same as yesterday."

    "That's it?" She asks. "She got attacked yesterday, they were tracking us. Shouldn't we be a bit more cautious?"

    "Yes," I say. "We'll be as cautious as necessary. Just have some breakfast, make sure everyone stays together."

    "Am I, like, second in charge?"

    "I'd have to say third," I say.

    "Who's got me beat?" She asks. "The last one awake?"

    "Currently."

    "Well, fine," she says. "I'll get back to trying to work my way up, Captain."

    "Don't call me that."

    She smirks and walks away, I slip my arm back around Stella's waist, bury my face back into her neck. A moment later, she stirs until she in facing me, smiling at me. I smile back at her and press her closer. "Hi," she says, so quietly, it could only be her speaking.

    "That's all you have to say to me?" I ask.

    "Yeah, pretty much," she says.

    I feel my smile widen. I touch my lips lightly to hers just before Adrian calls out, "Hey, lovebirds! No time for that! We've got to get going!"

    "Now?" Stella questions. "I just woke up!"

    I sigh, stand, and help her to her feet, I gesture for her to get on my back, she does. Her arms curl carefully around my neck, her legs wrap around my waist. I hold her legs and carry her towards the group, they are all eating small meals, not putting too much effort into breakfast when we'll need it later, it's good that they figured that out.

    "Really?" Alice asks. "I saw yesterday that her feet and legs are fully functional."

    "Yeah," I say. "And so are mine, your point?"

    "Put her down," she says. "That's my point."

    "I think I'll pass," Stella says. "I mean, no walking all the way over here? It's amazing." Sarcasm is thick in her voice.

    "Yeah," Alice says. "I bet you can't wait until we start running towards the fence again."

    "Absolutely," she says to Alice. "I bet you can't wait either," this she says to me.

    "It's astounding," I say. "How you expect me to carry you several miles, running."

    "So the deal's off?" She asks. "Well, you're no fun."

    "I wasn't informed of any proposal."

    "You carry my the several miles I'm supposed to run, and I'll give you nothing in return."

    "'Nothing in return', sounds great, although the carrying part," I say. "I'm going to have to say no."

    "Can you carry me half way?"