Chapter 22 Stella

We are back in the dormitory now. Packing our things. In my case, I am packing one thing-- the iPhone thing. Lamar decides to pick up the iPhone off of the nightstand beside the bed he slept in the first night here, just in case we somehow get separated or something. We'd figured it'd be useful in that case. He also takes the thumbdrive.

Alice packs her iPhone and everything she had dropped that I'd picked up when she fled back to the faction system, she also packs one of Anthony's sweatshirts. I'm not sure anyone is sure why, but I am. She wants to hold onto every piece of him that she still can.

Grace packs only the iPhone. She has nothing else to pack. Same goes for Faith and Adrian.

Matthew packs nothing, he doesn't trust technology that was produced by Erudite or anyone similar. As do the other factionless that were given a room.

Oddly, the factionless that got separate rooms were a few I hadn't met before, plus Angelina and Nate. Nate isn't going to get his room until he was released from the infirmary, but he won't be stuck here. And his freedom is not something I was looking forward to.

Lamar and I had gotten the keys to the rooms before we came here, we plan on giving Angelina and Nate the two farthest rooms from ours. And, as we had already planned, all of us-- excluding the factionless and Nate-- will sleep in the same room for the first few nights.

"Is everyone ready?" Lamar asks. He stands by the door, with his hand on the knob, seemingly eager to get out of here.

Everyone nods, I do as well and start towards him. We had changed out of the clothes we wore in the training room, I-- somehow-- found an outfit in a smaller size than the first one. These clothes almost fit.

***

As soon as we are in our room and have given away all of the keys but ours, Lamar and I lie down on the bed, shoulder to shoulder. He rolls onto his side to face me, I do the same.

"Hey," he says.

I smile. "First of all, hello. Second, at what moment in the past week or two have you not seen me, causing you to greet me?"

He chuckles. "When we slept? Showers?"

"Those don't count."

"What about when you went to the bathroom when we got back from the training room?"

"That took like 30 seconds."

"You were still out of my sight."

"I had to pee."

He snorts, smiling. "Fine, I'll just stop greeting you."

"I wasn't intending that," I say. "I never said you should stop. I was just asking why you do it so frequently."

"I don't know. Greeting you is my only way to be happy?"

"It is not," I say.

He moves his arm so his head rests on it, I sit up and his expression clearly questions why. I lean back so I am propped up against the pillows. I cross my legs.

"Well, fine," he says. "You're moving to a new position, so am I."

I laugh lightly. He moves around until his head rests on my crossed legs, he looks up at me, his hands folded over his stomach.

"You comfortable now?" I ask. He laughs and nods. "Good."

After a short moment, the door knob rattles and Alice walks in. "Um," she says. "This is obviously a bad time . . ." She takes a step back.

Lamar and I spring apart. "No! Alice, it's fine, come back," I say, panicked.

She hesitates before shutting the door behind her and sitting in a chair near the bed. She crosses her legs and folds her hands together. "You obviously don't realize how awkward it is for me to sit here with the two of you staring at me and Storm's hair more ruffled than it usually is."