Chapter 13 Stella

Lamar emerges from the bathroom in just a few minutes, his hair is wet, just like everyone else's, although, mine is only damp now. Just a moment after Lamar begins to start towards me, Alice walks in. Every head in the room turns towards her.

"I heard the water running," she says. "And I was wondering, how are the showers?"

"Good," I say. "You can use ours if you want--"

"Who was last?" She asks. Lamar raises his hand hesitantly. She hesitates before saying, "Grace, you can go. I'll go after you."

Grace gets up and starts towards the bathroom. Lamar sits next to me, taking my hand into his. Alice sits on the other side of me. I stare at her.

"What?" She asks. "Am I in the middle of something? I'm sorry, I'll just go over there--"

"No," I say. "We weren't going to do anything. I'm just worried about you, Alice."

She doesn't respond for a moment. "When are you going to tell me what you figured out?"

There is a brief silence while I consider a series of responses. "I don't know," I say. "Soon, I promise, I'll tell you. I just . . . I need to think about it."

She scoffs. "Everyone here knows how much you think, it's why you seem so stressed all the time, it's why you know what to do when even Storm doesn't. I know you've thought about it, but not nearly as much as me. Do you even know what this is like? Can you even imagine what I'm going through right now, Stella?"

"Alice--"

"Just don't," she says. "Either you tell me what you've figured out right now. Or the next one is either you or me. Whoever I decide deserves it more."

"Alice this isn't necessary--" Lamar starts.

"TO HELL WITH HOW NECESSARY IT IS!!!" She yells. "Stella, tell me, right the hell now."

I hesitate for just a moment to long, she interrupts me as I open my mouth.

"You little shit," she hisses. "Go to hell!"

"Alice," I say. "Just listen, I'll tell you." My voice is somehow calm despite the anger flooding my veins at how far she is taking this.

She slams her mouth shut just before saying something a bit too extreme.

"What I've figured out from the situation," I say. "Is that someone from the bureau is doing this to us." I pause, considering an explanation. Alice interrupts me again.

"Why do you think that?" She says. "It could've been one of the factionless just trying to 'upset' us."

"It couldn't have been. It had to have been someone from the bureau," I say. "I'm thinking, they're trying to pick us off, one by one, until there is one left, whoever that one is, that way they can do whatever they want to that person, and no one will be there to stop them."

Her eyes meet mine for a moment. "Stella, that's you," she says.

"It could be anyone, Alice."

"What about the picture of the girl?"

"That could've been them trying to get you away, they couldn't just kill everyone, that would make it more suspicious than it already is."

Suddenly, one of the factionless bursts into the room. His hair is buzz cut, he has four piercings in both ear and five on his right eyebrow. He has a spare upper lip, a scar runs down his face, from his cheekbone to his jawline. His eyes are black.