Chapter 20 Storm

It was Nate. I should've seen this coming from a mile away. I'd love to know why Nate is targeting us so much. Maybe he truly hates me and feels as though everyone that cares about me the way he should've should be punished. Maybe he feels hatred towards Stella as well, it's hard to tell or even get concentrated on it right now.

As Stella and I get closer to the infirmary, I start to attempt to gather Nate into my arms, but his limp weight overpowers me. I hook my forearms under his shoulders and try to relieve Stella of some of his weight, since she refuses to stand back and not help.

Once we push through the door of the infirmary, Stella calls out, "We have an emergency! Someone! We urgently need a doctor!" Doctors come rushing towards us, they take Nate from us and pull him onto a hospital bed. "I'm going to Nathanial's office now," Stella says to me. "If you're coming, let's go, but I'm leaving now before I get anymore disturbing looks."

I glance around. Disturbing looks? Either guys are looking at her in a way that would make me want to smash their heads into a cement wall, or she's getting glared at. For what? "Who is looking at you 'disturbingly'?" I ask her.

She shakes her head. "It doesn't matter," she says. "Because I'm leaving." She turns and starts toward the door. I follow her through the hallways that she seems to have already learned her way through. "Nathanial," she says as she turns around a corner. As soon as Nathanial comes into my vision, he is already responding.

"Oh! Stella!" He says. "You came earlier than I had expected--"

"Shut up," Stella snaps. "Just give me the serum and stop torturing me and the factionless and my friends. I know it was your people that killed Anthony."

"Stella--" I start, trying to stop her from doing something she'll regret.

"Don't," she says to me. "Do you have anything to say about this?"She says this to Nathanial.

Nathanial shakes his head. "I didn't have anything to do with any of the deaths in your dorm. Turn to the factionless for information if you must, but I will be of no use--"

"That's bullshit," Stella snaps.

"Stella," I say. She never speaks like this. It's like she's a different person all of a sudden. Although, I don't think she's ever been this angry. "I get it you're trying to be direct but--"

"Lamar, could you just stop talking for a few moments?" Her voice is bitter.

"No," I say. "I can't, because I'm not comfortable with you going through this test. It's memory serum, Stella. I get it, you've been through it before but that shouldn't make you less reluctant to do this."

She closes her eyes for a moment. "Nathanial, could you give us a moment, please?"

"Actually, no," he says. "Given the known fact of how many cameras and speakers there are in this building, I could simply walk back into my office and listen to your whole conversation. Also, that I'd prefer to get this done so I can analyze the results and consider how many more tests you'll have to go through."

"What?" I demand. "You said just five tests," I say. "Five tests, Nathanial, that's all you get--"

"Actually," Nathanial says. "I can get whatever I want out of the two of you. You'd rather no one else die, correct?"

Stella's lips part. She looks shocked. He's threatening to kill more of our group.

"How many tests do you intend to take on her?" I ask.

"Three more," he says. "The death serum and two more simulations."

I look over at Stella. She nods. "I'm okay with that," she says. "As long as no one else comes and attacks me and no one else dies."