Chapter 16 Stella

The clothes-- Again today-- Are a bit baggy on me. The sleeve holes are three times as thick as my arms, the neck hole could fit Lamar's neck in it, and the shirt ends at my mid-thigh. I almost have to wear a belt to keep the jeans on me, the ankles could almost fit my foot as I stand. It's just plain uncomfortable, like they could fall off of me and any given moment.

I have my damp hair in a low pony-tail to keep it out of my face throughout the day.

I sit down next to Lamar on my bed, he has already taken his shower. "Those clothes just keep getting bigger and bigger in your drawer," he says. "We'll have to ask them for some in your size."

I nod. "I'm not excited to see the pajamas."

He laughs. "Yeah," he says. "Those might just fall off of you."

I raise my eyebrows at him. "I thought you would be pleased at that thought."

He laughs again. "Yes, I am."

I smile. "We're getting clothes in my size," I insist.

"Good."

"We're getting rid of the pajamas."

He frowns jokingly. "Awww, I was looking forward to that night."

"Keep dreaming," I say. "Are you coming with me to the truth serum test?"

He inhales sharply. "Of course," he says. "I'm just . . . Worried. After today . . . We don't know what could happen--"

"I'll be fine," I say. "I'll survive the death serum."

He hesitates. "What about the memory serum?"

"Don't worry about it," I say. "You're going to make me worry about it and I'm trying not to think about the tests."

He sighs. "But still."

"I'm going now," I say, standing and starting towards the door. I open it and Lamar pulls it shut behind him. I walk down the hall and turn, trying to remember the path from the dorm to the testing room, I take another right turn and Nathanial stands next to a door, speaking with someone else-- Abigale. Lamar's hand is immediately around my wrist, he pulls me back around the corner. I look up at him for a moment before turning my head so I can hear them better.

"What do you want me to do?" Abigale asks. "I mean, I only have one idea of who could've taken the thumb drive--"

"Who, Abigale? We need to know this," Nathanial says.

"It could've been your test subject," she says. "I mean, you said you noticed it was gone yesterday after her testing, right?"

There is a brief silence. "Abigale, I need you to be 100% sure of this next time I speak with you about it, understood?" He says.

"I'll do the best I can, sir," she says. I hear footsteps so I start around the corner, Lamar follows me. "Oh!" Abigale says. "Hello!" I notice her gaze above me, at Lamar. What a surprise, something in my mind hisses.

"Hi, Abigale," I say. "We were just going to my testing--"

"So, how have you been, Storm?" She asks.

Lamar takes a step back. "Abigale, if you would just stop--"

"Stop what?" She asks, taking a step towards him.

"Look, I'd prefer you stop flirting with me--"

"Why?" Her expression dies, her bottom lip pops out.

"Oh, my God," I say, grabbing Lamar's arm. I pull him past her and towards Nathanial.

"Thank you," Lamar whispers in my ear.