*Chapter 50

*Chapter 50

Monique's POV

I quickly changed back into my pyjamas glad that my dark complexion meant that no one could see my face burning with embarrassment.

After sorting myself out I went downstairs and found my mum making breakfast into the kitchen

"Mum, can I talk to you?"

"Always," she answered, smiling.

"Well, I've been sick."

"Oh dear," mum said turning to look at me.

"And then...well, let's just say my bladder had a mind of its own..."

"Oh poor you" She replied putting a hand on my forehead.

"Mum! I'm not a baby," I replied defiantly.

"You probably have a bug. You can miss school today."

"Thanks mum."

As I turned to walk away mum suddenly said.

"Darling, if you ever get pregnant, you would tell me wouldn't you, Monique?"

"Of course, mum" I replied

"When I had Kamal your grandfather wouldn't talk to me for months. I just don't want you making the same mistakes I did."

I then made my way to my room with mum's words playing over and over again in my mind. Could I be pregnant?

At Ben's party, a few weeks ago there'd been lots of people and fun and beer. I felt a little reckless and knew my mum would not approve but I wouldn't get in to any trouble. And then later on Ben and I kissed, something I wasn't proud of, but it had been nice to feel wanted, and as long Ben didn't say anything, what was the harm?

But then Ben had led me to his bedroom, and past that the night was a blank.

I put my coat on over her pyjamas and snuck out the back door, so that mum didn't see me. At the chemist I bought a pregnancy test. This was difficult because I did not want anyone to know I might be pregnant and then tell my mum. It was ten pounds which seemed stupid because you can only use it once. The look the chemist gave me as I paid almost turned her to stone.

Back home I locked herself in the bathroom and read the instructions carefully. Taking the test was no problem; it was waiting for it to be ready to read that was difficult. After ten minutes I finally made myself look. Two blue lines. The instructions on the packet told me I was pregnant.

"No. I can't be. It's not true," I whispered to herself. It's okay, I thought. I'll do another test, and this one has to be wrong. But turning out my pockets I didn't have even half the money to buy a new one.

The next day at school was very hard. The events of the previous day were still fresh in my mind. I didn't know what to do. All day the only thing on my mind was whether or not she should keep it. What will Kate think of me? I wondered, what will my mum do? I've gone and made the same mistake she did.

Kate could tell that something was on my mind.

"What's up? You've been down all day." She asked me at lunch

"It's nothing much, don't worry," I replied

"Come on babe, we tell each other everything. You look like you've eaten cold porridge," moaned Kate.

"Look," I snapped, "it's just I've got stuff on my mind, that's all."

"Well, we all have stuff on our mind. Ben's been acting all funny, but I suppose that doesn't matter because Monique has problems so big that no one else matters." Kate snapped back.

The hurt and coldness in Kate's voice made ms burst in to tears.

""Hey babe, I'm sorry. I have all this negative energy I need to get out, that's all," she said giving me a hug.

"It's not that, It's just...Oh, Kate I'm so sorry," I sobbed

"What about? You haven't done anything," said Kate

"I have...Oh Kate. You remember Ben's party?"

"Yeah."

"Ben and I sort of kissed...but it was a mistake, I mean we were so drunk."

"You did what?" Kate yelled, so that people stopped and looked at them both. "Wait, with my boyfriend?"

Her face looked like she had been slapped a thousand times and now she wanted revenge.

"It was an accident, I'm so sorry. I just had to tell you, because..."

"Because what?" Shouted Kate.

"Because I'm pregnant," I sobbed. I hadn't meant to tell her that bit but it came out like word vomit.

The bell for afternoon lessons rang.

Kate walked away, without looking at her and I had never felt so alone.

That evening, I went home and worried about how I would tell my mum. I didn't have to worry for long as soon Kate was at her door.

"Hey Kate come in. Monique is in her room" I heard mum say after she'd finished moaning about always having people over.

"Actually I wanted to talk to you"

"Really well come in and grab a seat. So what's on your mind?"

My heart was thumping in my chest like an animal trying to get out of a cage as I sat on the stairs listening to their conversation .

"If my boyfriend cheated on me and took advantage of my friend should I dump him or give him another chance ?"

"That's a hard decision to make. Do you like him enough to give him another chance. Can you trust him? Is your friendship worth it?"

"I do like him but my friendship is not worth it. I don't think I can trust him. Thanks for the advice" Kate replied

"No probs."

I was stunned Kate had not told her mum I was happy about this but still surprised.

Kate saw me sitting there as she came out of the living room.

"I am not going to tell your mum," she whispered. "I'll let you do that I realised our friendship is more important then a stupid boy who takes advantage of you, and I will stick by you and the baby."

"Thanks and I promise never to do anything with your boyfriends no matter how drunk I am."

"You better not or I will slap you!" and suddenly we both laughed.

"Would you come down with me while I tell my mum I'm pregnant?"

"What are friends for?"

We then hugged and went to tell my mum. She didn't take the news as badly as I thought but she was still disappointed in me. Now that I've told my mum I need to work out what I'll do about Jordan. I decided to text him and tell him we need to meet since he wasn't answering his phone.

"Jordan isn't available" was the reply I got. Suddenly I felt sick again. Something wasn't right.

**

This chapter was already written so I decided to upload it quickly. I'll probably have one more chapter then an epilogue for this. Thank you for sticking with me whilst I'm unbearably slow with updates.