Take Four.

As I pushed the door of the barroom open, humidity hit me like a pile of bricks. Music that I was unfamiliar with blasted from speakers that were stacked neatly in the far corner of the room. And for a small place, it was packed. Bodies that craved physical touch and affection swayed in synchronization on the dance floor. But, I couldn't care any less about the popularity at that moment. In fact, I couldn't care less about anything at that moment.

I'd just left my boyfriend of four years, fiancé of five months.

Even though my ring finger was bare, I could still very well feel the heavy weight of the diamond he'd slipped on my finger after asking me to spend the rest of my life with him. I rubbed at the finger in question, trying to mitigate the feelings that came along with it, as if that would make me forget anything.

I took a seat at the bar counter and awaited the bartender's tending. He was currently making a drink for the only person sitting at the bar besides myself. Although I hadn't made a move to look, I knew it was a male. Their scent was too masculine to be female. It didn't matter to me anyway.

"Hey, lady, you look like you could use a drink. What would you like?" The bartender finally asked me.

My head was throbbing, but that didn't stop me from asking what I asked next. "Got anything strong, like Golden Grain? If so, can I have four shots of that? Thanks." The bartender's eyes widened for a split second, but he just nodded and went to getting the drink.

I decided to ignore the meager movement beside me. "What's a little lady like you doing drinking four shots of that kind of drink?"

"Why are you talking to me?" I asked dryly, not caring for his reason but I just wanted him to notice my obvious disinterest in speaking to anyone. I wasn't exactly fond of speaking to the particular sex at this time anyway.

"Well, from where I came from, when a woman, especially a beautiful one, is having a bad day or seems to be having one, us men usually try our best to make it better for them." He spoke again. I clenched my jaw and kept my gaze straight ahead.

"How sweet of you. But, no thanks. In fact, if I had the opportunity to wipe all males off of this planet, I probably would." I spoke forcefully, not only my jaw but fists clenching as well on the countertop. Thankfully, the bartender came with my drinks. Instantly, I took one and threw it back. The strength of the drink made my throat burn intensely. But, I needed something that could numb my feelings as soon as possible.

"Woah," The man whistled with a slight laugh. "You must really hate us. Tell me, what did this man do to you exactly, to make you hate us men so much that you can't even have a civil conversation with one?"

"Why the hell would I tell you that? You think I'm stupid enough to trust another man after that stupid piece of shit?" I finally looked at the man who was talking to me like he'd lost his mind. When I did, I wished that I hadn't. If I'd thought before that Gregg, my ex, stupid piece of shit, was good looking, this specimen before me surely took the cake. Without fail. A thousand times over.

I'm pretty sure he noticed the look on my face. I knew because he smiled. Knowingly. I hated that my face said things to people that I wouldn't like to admit, like the fact that I could eat this man up right here in this bar. But, I had to keep hold of the diminutive amount of self esteem and dignity that I had left.

"You can trust me because I'm willing to listen. In fact, I'd be willing to do a lot of things, if you let me.." The last part, he'd whispered softly in my ear. His nearness made me swallow hard.