Chapter Nine

“Jade, where were you this weekend? I tried texting you and I even called but you didn’t answer…” Abby questioned.

I looked up from my world history book and stared at her blankly for a second, absorbing what she’d just said.

All this lying and hiding the truth from me is really starting to get to me. Last night I didn’t get a wink of sleep because of what my dad had said.

I didn’t want to believe him, and I still don’t, but what if it’s true? What if Harry is the one who put me in a coma? I need to ask him, but I haven’t seen him anywhere around school. Is he avoiding me again?

Oh-so-many questions flooding through my mind. They’re making me crazy and I just can’t get them out of my head.

“Right… Sorry about that, my dad took my phone,” I said rolling my eyes at the last bit.

Her mouth formed an ‘o’ shape, “Seriously? Is he like crazy or something?”

You know, I’m beginning to wonder that myself, I thought.

“I don’t know, but I’m going to try and get it back tonight. Actually, I have a better idea… Are you busy around six-ish?”

She shrugged, “Don’t think so, why?”

“Cause you’re coming to the phone store with me,” I smiled mischievously.

“Oh, someone’s turning into a badass. But, now I can finally get that new phone case I’ve been dying for! It’s a date!”

I laughed lightly at her excitement, “Sure is.”

We sat in silence for a bit as the teacher blabbed on about something to do with the Russians that really didn’t interest me in the slightest.

I turned the pages in my text book to the page he had instructed. Abby beat me to it this time, damn. We always have a silent contest to see who can get to the page first. It sounds lame, but it’s actually pretty fun considering how tedious the lessons are.

“Oh my god, what’s that?” Abby quietly exclaimed so the teacher didn’t hear. Her eyes flashed from my right wrist back up to meet my eyes.

“What?” I asked, acting as if I had no idea what she was talking about.

“On your wrist, you know, on the underside of it. There’s something written, let me see it.”

“Uh…I don’t-”

“Oh come on, it can’t be that bad.” She unexpectedly reached out and grasped my wrist, pulling it towards her and turning it over so she could see the ink written onto my skin.

“Let me see your wrist,” he had said with a grin. I giggled softly in response with a smile on my face as well.