Chapter Sixteen

In case anyone is still confused, Harry was hired to protect Gabby from something/someone. The best way to be near her always, in his mind, was to date her. He is fighting any feeling he developes for her because he isn't supposed/allowed to have any at all. However, that could end up changing. You never know with this story. xD

“Gabriella, I-” she started to say.

“How do you even know my name?” I interrupted, the tears sliding down my cheeks as I tried to keep myself up against the building instead of falling to my knees.

“I’m your mother,” she said softly.

“N-no your n-not. My mother is dead. She died in a car crash last year.”

“No sweetie, I’m your real mother.”

“You were adopted,” Harry sighed, running his fingers through his hair.

“What?” I croaked in an unnaturally high-pitched voice.

"But...why are you with her? Why was your hand on her knee?"

"It was just a gesture...I was trying to be civil..." he tried to reason with me.

"So you're Miranda?" I asked, my head still spinning with questions.

"I am, but I'd rather you call me mum," she smiled.

"I'm sorry but I...I just want to go home."

Harry nodded and walked over to me. He held out his hand and I just stared at it for a minute before hesitantly placing my small hand in his large one.

“You want to go back to your house?” he asked whilst we walked away, leaving a bewildered Miranda behind us.

“No, not after this. I want to be with you…” I muttered quietly.

It took a second before he finally responded, “Okay.”

He gave my hand a squeeze as we walked to the car.

Harry’s POV