Chapter Fifty-five

“Sorry, but I’d rather not.”

“What the fuck did you just say to me bitch?”

“She said no,” Harry backed me up as he came up behind Shawn and shoved him against the nearest wall.

“I think you need to learn who you’re fucking with, asshole.”

Shawn chuckled, “What are you going to do? Kill me? I don’t think your girl will like that.”

My heart leaped when he referred to me as Harry’s girl. I wish I were still his girl.

“No, I’m not going to kill you. I’m not a fucked up psychopath like you. But I’m not letting you walk away from this squeaky clean.”

“You really think you can-”

Shawn was cut off by Harry’s fist colliding with his jaw. He fell to the ground, gripping his jaw, but then looked back up at Harry with an evil smirk.

“I bet you wish you could still fuck her.”

“Shut the hell up!” Harry yelled.

Damn…he was pissed…

Shawn got back up on his feet and I could already see Harry’s jaw clenching. He didn’t hesitate to push him back against the cement wall and knee him right where the sun doesn’t shine, if you know what I mean. I squinted my eyes knowing that must have hurt as I watched him slip down the wall.

He held his hands over his jeans, yelling multiple cuss words. Harry leaned down in his face.

“If you ever put your hands on her again, I won’t just let you get away so easily. You’re fucking lucky I don’t kill you,” He said in a serious tone before kicking Shawn in the side and coming over to me.

“Come on, let’s go upstairs.”

I nodded and followed him up the steps, closing the basement door and locking it. He can get out through that window when he regains the ability to walk.

“Thank you,” I said whilst rubbing my arm slightly in nervousness.

He nodded, “I should go.”

“Um…yeah, I guess so.” I didn’t want him to leave, but I don’t know how to make him stay.

He gave me the worst fake smile ever before walking out the front door and closing it. I don’t want to be alone after that. The power was out in the house and it was so dark, too. Hell with it.

I quickly went to the door and flung it open, going outside after Harry.

“Wait!” I called and he stopped, turning around to face me.

“Is something wrong?” he asked.

“Yes…I mean no…I was just going to ask if maybe I could stay with you tonight? The power’s out and I really don’t want to be alone after all that. I understand if it’s uncomfortable and you don’t want me to.”

“No, it’s fine. You can stay with me tonight.”

“I’ll sleep on the couch and I’ll be gone in the morning, I promise.”

“Okay,” he agreed.

I hope it was too dark for him to see the smile that appeared on my face before I went inside to get something to wear and my keys. I made sure I was quick so I didn’t have to keep him waiting.

* * *

I felt bad that Harry’s been staying at hotels all this time and didn’t have his own place. That just sounds like it would suck. Maybe he doesn’t mind it though, who knows.

Once I had finished changing in the bathroom, I went back out to the small sitting room where the couch was. I sat down on the edge of the couch and stared at the black television screen.

Honestly, I don’t know how I’m going to sleep tonight knowing that he’s so close. All I’ll be able to think about is how he used to hold me close to him and how every morning I would have to wrestle myself out of his tight grip.

I missed those days…I missed them so damn much.

I was so lost in my thoughts that it startled me when Harry sat down on the coffee table right in front of me. Literally, my legs were in between his as he leaned closer to me.

His finger traced over my swollen lip and then to the cut on my forehead. He wasn’t saying anything, but he seemed to be thinking about something.

My heart was racing with every touch to my skin. I don’t know how he does this to me, but he does and I can’t help it. I wish I could just stay away so he could be happy with someone else, but I can’t bring myself to do it.

“It’s only minor injuries,” he said after a little while of further examining my wounds.

The second his fingers left my skin, I started to feel cold. I wanted to feel his touch. At this point I would let him run his fingers over my whole body.

That’s how much I missed him and the feeling of his skin on mine or even his hands on my waist; his lips against mine, the way he always used to get his hands under the hem of my shirt just for more contact. I wanted that again…I longer for that.

“Harry, I-” I began to say, but then I stopped myself.

What if he doesn’t want me anymore? I don’t think I can handle rejection, especially not from him. Not now, not ever.

“What?” he asked, trying to get me to go on with what I was saying.

“Never mind.”

“Okay,” he replied and I could sense the disappointment in his voice.

Why was he upset that I didn’t tell him? I don’t think he would have wanted to hear it anyway. I would have ended up crying and he would just feel bad for me. I don’t want that.

“I’m going to go to bed. Goodnight,” he informed me before standing from his seat on the coffee table in front of me.

“Goodnight.”

“I love you,” I whispered when he was far enough away, a single tear slipping down my cheek.