Chapter Forty-five

I lightly tapped my knuckles against the wood, “Can I come in?”

There was no answer, but I heard sniffling. Is she crying? I tried the handle and it was unlocked. My eyes widened at the sight before me. There was blood on the floor and Gabby was lying down next to it flat on her stomach.

“What’s wrong? What happened?” I asked.

“I lost it,” she said through her tears.

“What are you talking about? Lost what?”

“The baby.”

My whole body froze. She was pregnant? Why didn’t she tell me?

“I’m so sorry,” she cried.

I grabbed the towel off of the rack next to me and wiped the blood off of the floor before sitting down next to her and wrapping my arms around her. She was shaking, literally shaking in my arms.

“I’m so sorry,” she repeated.

“It’s okay, it’s not your fault,” I tried to coax her.

“You don’t hate me?”

“No. I would never hate you, especially not for something like this.”

“I should have told you…”

“You’re right, you should have, but that doesn’t mean that I hate you. I still love you, Gabby, I always will.”

Yes, I was pissed that she didn’t tell me. But I couldn’t yell at her right now, not when she’s like this. She told me she was still on birth control. In other words, she lied to my face about it. Why would she even do that?

I just can’t believe that she didn’t tell me. Maybe that’s why she asked me if I wanted kids; she knew she was already pregnant. Regardless, she still should have told me.

Eventually I got her to calm down and got her into the bed. I crawled in next to her and she turned on her side to face me. Her cheeks were still a little pink from how worked up she got herself.

“When did you know?” I asked softly.

I needed to try to handle this calmly for her sake. If I started yelling, I knew she would break down again.

“A few weeks ago… I think I got pregnant on Christmas. Maybe we didn’t wait long enough…”

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

“I thought…I thought if I told you, then you would leave… But then I decided I was going to tell you on your birthday…before I…”

“Before you…what?”

“Before I said yes…”

“Yes to what?”

“That I would marry you.”

“You will?”

“Yeah.”

“Not just because you were pregnant?”

“No. I want to marry you because I love you.”

I placed my hand on her jaw and brought my lips to hers. I’m still upset that she didn’t tell me, but it’s too late now anyway. Besides, she finally said she would marry me and that’s what I’ve been waiting for her to say. I’m not going to try and ruin that over her not telling me.

She climbed over top of me and slipped her hand into the hem of my boxers, starting to pull them down. I placed my hand on hers to stop her.

“What are you doing?” I asked.