Chapter Eighteen

It’s been a couple weeks since the blow out Harry and I had. I can’t even look at him or I know I’ll come crawling back and I can’t do that, I need to be strong and stay as far away from him as possible. Besides, now I get to spend more time with the girls. They still ask me what happened between us, but I can’t bring myself to tell them. As much as I want to, I know that it would get him in trouble and I don’t even know what would happen to him if I did, so I just tell them that I really don’t want to talk about it and, thankfully, they change the subject.

Another thing I wish I could do is go to the headmaster and tell them that Harry isn’t eighteen. Again, I just can’t bring myself to do it. Who knows what will happen to him. He would be kicked out, no doubt. But what about this so-called “job” he has. If it is real and there really are dangerous people out for me, they could go after him.

Other than that, it does bring me some odd closure when he’s in class with me because I always catch him looking at me. The smile trying to force itself to my face every time it happens is hard to get rid of, but somehow I manage to do it.

I can’t stop thinking about what he said, even after the two weeks that have passed since he told me. Was it true? I still remember the exact phrasing of his last sentence. But most of all, I can’t watch you, protect you, and hate you when I’m madly in love with you.

Did he really mean that? Was he actually “madly in love” with me, or was it just part of his “job” so that he could keep me with him?

The bell rang and I was relieved of the eyes boring into my skin. He sat diagonal from me and back, but I always knew when he was looking, or staring rather.

Today, like every other day these past two weeks, I was just going to go home, do my homework, study, and go to sleep. It’s a boring routine, but it’s all I have now. The only exceptions were when one of the girls asked me to hang out with them.

“Hey babe,” a familiar voice said.

I turned around once I reached the hall to face Mikey. Harry wasn’t far away standing at his locker and fumbling with different things, but I was sure he was listening.

“What do you want?” I sighed.

“You and Styles broke up, right?” he asked.

I noticed Harry tense at his locker. Yep, he’s listening. But why did he have that reaction? It’s not like he cared about me anyway.

“Yeah, we did.”

“Hmm…that brings me to ask you if you’re free tomorrow night.”

“N-” I started to say, about to decline anything he might have had planned. Then the part of me that wanted to get back at Harry for what he did chimed in.

“I am. Why?”

He smiled, “Well, I was wondering if maybe you’d fancy catching a movie with me?”

“Um,” I started to say.

It can’t be that bad. Maybe he was just jealous before and that’s why he was such a dick. Then again, he shouldn’t have been jealous of something that was all fake. Tears pricked my eyes, but I forced them back.

“I’d love to.”

“Great, I’ll pick you up around seven thirty.”

“Okay.”

Mikey smiled at me before walking away. See, maybe he is a nice guy after all. Just as I was about to turn around, Harry slammed his locker shut. It startled me, but I decided to ignore it and walked away. What was his problem?