Chapter 12

“What are you doing here? Did you come all the way to America by yourself? Are you okay?” Priya bombarded Payal with questions. 

            “I am by myself.  I’m touring colleges. And I’m great!  Didi, calm down.” Payal replied. 

            “How did you travel all by yourself?” Priya asked.

            “It wasn’t that difficult.  I had a connection flight in Dubai.  And when I landed here, I just took a taxi.  The taxi driver knew the address. Good thing too because I didn’t think to ask you.  Who knew Jija-ji was so famous?” Payal explained. 

            “Payal, you didn’t call or inform me.” Priya said, still distraught. 

            “It’s called a surprise, Didi.” Payal giggled. 

            “College in New York?  What’s wrong with Mumbai?” Priya said, realizing the purpose of Payal’s visit. 

            “Didi, you’re here. Jija-ji is here.  New York has amazing universities.  Why not?” replied Payal.   

            Priya didn’t argue with her logic.  She had a valid point.  She opened the door wider, allowing Payal to enter. 

            “Didi! This house is amazing! So beautiful!” Payal exclaimed as she took in the sight before her. 

            “Hi! I’m Neha.” Neha had made her way to the front door and now stood before Payal with her hand extended. 

            “Hi! I’m Payal.” Payal took Neha’s hand and shook it. 

            “Priya, you didn’t tell me you had a sister.” Neha said.  “It’s nice to meet you!”

            “Thanks! It’s nice to meet you too.” Payal replied. 

            “Is this your first time in New York?” asked Neha. 

            “My first time in America.” Payal admitted. 

            “No! Priya! You have to take her to Time Square. I know this new restaurant in SoHo.  We can go there after I take you gals to Time Square.  Tonight we’re hitting the city. Payal, you’re going to love it here.” Neha said excitedly. 

            “Really? Didi, can we please? I really want to see the city.” Payal begged. 

            “Don’t you want to rest first?” asked Priya, concerned. 

            “No! I’ll be fine. I’ll just change, and we’ll leave. Aaah! I’m so excited!” exclaimed Payal.

            “Um…okay. Great.” Priya replied. 

            When the three returned home from a night out in the city, it was well past midnight. 

            “Bye Neha! See you soon.” Payal called as she exited the taxi cab. 

            “Bye Payal!” Neha replied. 

            “Thank you for tonight.  Payal seemed like she had so much fun.” Priya said

            “No problem.  She’s a sweet girl. Priya, I hope whatever is wrong between you and Aman turns out okay. See you later, okay?” Neha said.