Chapter 7: You Are My Life

I was leaning against Ayanna's door frame, watching Chance tuck her in. Throughout the rest of the party, we didn’t really speak to one another, but I could see it in his eyes that he wasn’t happy about me keeping her away from him. I could see him questioning me even more. I still didn’t know how he had found me and that was making me madder than anything.

“Daddy, I don’t want to go to sleep. If I do then I’ll miss you.” I heard Ayanna cries breaking throw my thoughts.

I saw Chance sit down on her bed next to her. He laid his hand on top of her head and lightly stroke her hair. “I’ll be here in the morning, when you wake up, and I don’t plan on going anywhere soon.” he informed her then leaned down and kissed her forehead. “Now please, close those little eyes of yours and get some sleep. You still have school in the morning.” With that I saw her close her eyes and soon fall asleep.

Chance stood up and walked over to the door, which I still stood at. He pulled me away from the door and closed it behind us. “Chance-” but I was cut off with his hand going over my mouth, stopping me from speaking. 

“Downstairs, now. We need to talk about this, but away from our daughter.” He whispered-yelled at me. He removed his hand only to grip onto my arm, dragging me downstairs.

“How the hell did you find me, us”?” I yelled at him, as soon as we got to the bottom and I removed myself from his hold.

“First thing, lower your voice; you don’t want Ayanna to wake up hearing us fighting.” He told me, making himself seem like the father of the year or something. When all I wanted from him was to stay away from us and go back to his bachelor life he enjoyed so much. “Second, your mother told my mother who, in a faint, came busting into a meeting I was having to tell me that I had a daughter and showed me a picture of Ayanna, your mother messaged her.”

I sat down on my couch, thinking this over. I had told my mother not to tell Chance, but I never said anything about his mother. She had found a lope hole and took it. Now it makes more sense as to why she had run off to stay at Aunt Maria's when Chance had shown up. I knew something had to be up when she saw Chance had shown up, with that devilish smile she had when Chance showed up and even when Ayanna had run to him when she saw him. 

“What I want to know is why you never told me. This has to be the most self-center thing you have ever done.” he stated in a calm tone.

I looked into his stormy green eyes and saw that he was madder than he was leading onto, but was trying to stay calm so we didn’t wake up Ayanna. “Because Chance, I didn’t know what to do when I found out. You were gone, off to France, and I hadn’t seen or even heard from you since that night. I just thought I was one of those toys you had back in high school. In the back of my mind, I couldn’t see you sticking around to help me so, I ran away.” I explained. It was a logical reason at the time, but I guess I had to pay the consequences sooner or later.

“How dare you jump into the conclusion without telling me? You never gave me a chance, Milly. Yes, I knew it was wrong not to talk to you after that night, but if you most know, that night was the best night I'd ever had. Laying there with you in my arms, asleep, I finally thought that I had the girl of my dreams, finally, but when the sun started coming up, I knew I had to go, but I didn’t want you thinking that it didn’t matter to me so, I left you that lame ass note.” he remarked, sitting next to me.

“Chance, stop throwing that crap at me. We both know that I was just one of those girls you played with back in high school. I’m not falling for this foolishness.” I told him, standing up, and not liking being near him at the moment.