Chapter 5: Goodbye

Chapter 5: Goodbye

Getting into the rental car after getting off the airplane was the most nervous I felt in a long time, mostly due to the fact I was back in my hometown and away from Ayanna for the first time in the past seven years. Aunt Maria had said Ayanna could stay with her so that she wouldn't miss any school, plus the fact she didn't know any of these people or them off her. When I talk to Greg about what happen, he wasn't all that please about me leaving, but understood it was something I had to do, which left Carlos in charge while I was gone. Julia had offered to come back with me, but I told her I need to do this on my own. Leading to me being alone and unsure what would happen once I face the people I ran from all those years ago.

I drove down the street to see everything is looked the same in this small sleepy town, where I grow up at. Even though my family had a well-known restaurant they still like the quietness this town bought and thought it would be perfect to start a family. Everyone seemed to get along even though you still had your normal gossip queens who try to start fights between people, but most the time those had just been smoothed over by the end of the day.

I drove down to the hospital my mother had told that my father was checked into when I had talked her last night as I felt the nerves start to eat at my insides. I knew I was about to get hit with questions I wasn't ready to answer yet. I was here to say my goodbyes to my father not cause more problems between for my family. Pulling into the parking garage I let out a deep sigh knowing there was no turning back now.

Walking out into the hospital lobby there was an older lady by the desk typing away from the computer that I hope would tell me the new room number my father had been moved to, since my mother hadn't given me the number yet, "I'm sorry to bother you but can you tell me which room Aaron Dunn is in."

The lady looked up from her computer and looked me up and down and rolled her eyes at me "I'm sorry, but I can only give out that information to family members." She then turned back to the computer.

I place my hands against the corner and looked down at her,"I'm his daughter Lilly Dunn. Now please tell me which room my father is in or I'll go roaming throw this god forsaken hospital till I find him my damn self."

She looked back over at me and it appeared that her eyes pop out of her eyes as she looked at me more closely, "Lilly?" you could hear the questioning in her voice "But no one has heard from you in the last eight years"

"Yeah, I know I disappeared. I had something I need to handle, but that is really none of your business so if you don't mind what room is my father in?" I asked again not liking this lady anymore now. I knew by the time I walked away the whole town would know I've come back and be questioning the same thing my family wanted to know, where have I been.

After telling me the room number, I felt all those nerves came crashing back down as I step foot in the elevator to go to his floor. Taking a deep breath has the doors open as I felt my phone vibrating notifying me I had a message. But I didn't have to look to see who it was from because there was the man I hope I would never have to encounter again sitting in front of me looking down at his phone.

His blonde, brownish hair was shorter than it had been that night at the restaurant seven years ago and was all messy has if he had been running his fingers through it a million times. He wore a nice fitted suit that fit his broad muscle flame, with the tie undone at the neck. He appeared stressed out about whatever was going on as his eyes stay glued to the screen on his phone not looking up at me once. Stepping out of the elevator to walk past him, I pray he didn't see me as I got to my father room.

Walking in the room to see my dad lying in a hospital bed with tubes running in and out of him. He looked thinner than I had ever seen him. I remember in one of the emails my mom sent a while back, she told that the cancer had been eating away at his body, but i never image it was this bad. The gentle started sitting in with the fact that I hadn't been there to help out over the past few years with him.