19. He's Single Again Ayyyyyye

Chapter 19

Nicleberry: Hey dickface... I'm sorry... Reception party, even though I didn't get married and I'm going to get turnt af because wtf, in Cantura?

I let out a nervous breath and bit my lip as I reread the message for the fifth time before sending it. The music from the ballroom was blindingly loud from the distance hallway that I ran away to. My parents didn't call off the reception, they had to give the guests some kind of satisfaction. All of the older folks left after dinner–which ended a couple of hours ago–and all of the 'young spirits', as Keller's father had called them, turned the ballroom into a night club.

I leaned against the cool marble column, my bare shoulders pressing against it–I changed out of that stupid dress into jeans and a tank top as soon as I could. Fifteen minutes passed and Mark still hadn't replied yet. I slid down the column and sat with my back against it and my knees to my chest.

I couldn't believe what I did. What Carmo did... What Keller did. I still can't believe how long they've been looking for her–my sister, Julinha. A smile crept to my face as an image of her face popped into my head. It was going to be hard on mother but we all know that she's the solution to our Cantura issue. Born and raised. What better alliance than having an heir who is a citizen of the country of interest?

I laughed at the irony of it all. This was a hell of a day. Keller hadn't said a word to me. The last I've seen him was a few minutes ago in the ballroom chatting up a storm with Carmo, Julinha and a few other girls. Quite the lady's man, I thought bitterly but dispelled it because he's free to do whatever pleases him.

"You're quite the social butterfly, princess," my heart leapt at the sound of his voice, I was surprised beyond my wits.

"And you're quite au courant prince," I tried to sound unbothered but I couldn't keep the bite out of the last word.

There was a sudden silence and I let out a breath through my nose.

"I know that saying sorry won't change anything..." I gazed up at him through my lashes, staring at the lines of his face concealed by the column's shadow, "But I am. Tremendously sorry."

His eyes weren't focused on me but on the space above my head. I just stared at him in silence, trying to get my breaths steady again.

"That's all I wanted to say," he let out a hesitant sigh, "I just... Wanted you to be happy... I didn't mean to hurt you. I hope you find it in your heart to forgive me someday."

He stooped in front of me. His breath tickling my face and making my skin tingle in a million different ways. I held back a whimper as his warm hand gripped mine and placed something shockingly cold in it. His eyes never met mine.

Not when he let go of my hand. Not when he when he got up. Not even when I gripped the hem of his pants.

"Keller..." I breathed pathetically.

"I'm sorry Nicola," his voice sounded hoarse and distant.

It knocked the breath out of me and my hand retracted swiftly. He walked away not looking back.

"I love you," I whispered the unspoken words to myself and pressed my palms to my forehead, "I fucking love you, you fucking asshole!"