9. He's Charming... I Swear It

-REVISED-

Chapter 9

I glance at the timer on Keller's phone for the umpteenth time and see that we have a minute left.

I'm two jaw breakers ahead of him and am feeling confident of the fact that I. Will. Win.

Fifty-six... I shove as much skittles as possible into my mouth and chew as fast as I can even though my jaw hurts like crazy. Thirty-two... I look across at Keller and he looked as though he is about to pass out and it made me giddy thinking of the prize.

Twenty... a whole week of servitude... fifteen... I stuff two chocolate bars in my mouth... ten... I could order him to do anything... seven... carry my books... six... my homework... three... sweet talk my parents... two... like me.

I swallow quickly at the thought, my throat clearing when the alarm went off.

"I," was all he said smirking at me, "Win."

I stayed quiet looking at the empty and half eaten packets in front of me.

"Hey?" he said cautiously his face is so close to mine now, I can smell the sugar on his breath and it's actually really attractive on him.

"You okay?" of course not.

"It's just," I started and bit my lip avoiding his eyes, "I'm fine."

"No you're not," he said quietly and looked like he regretted it instantly, "If you tug your hair any harder it's going to fall out."

I was frustrated, I only tugged at my hair when I was truly frustrated... how did he...I wanted to scream at the universe for my current situation. I wanted him. As more than a friend but way less than a lover because it was too soon. I wanted to get to know him. Go on dates with him. Possibly... be his girlfriend.

Gawd Nicola!

"You cheated," I said haughtily, narrowing my eyes at him.

He just smirked at me and got up dusting off his hands on his pants. He was about to stretch out his hand for me when my phone stared vibrating under my thigh.

I jumped up not noticing Keller was hovering over me and my head made direct contact with his chin.

"Oof!"

"Shit!" his hand flew to his mouth, probably bit his tongue.

My phone was still vibrating and I looked down and saw my mother's number and picture on the lit screen. Should I answer it? What kind of question is that? Of course I should!

Keller is watching me cautiously as I hesitantly stooped to pick up my phone and answer.

"Hello," I say as coolly as possible.

"Nicola?" my mother's voice sounded through the receiver loudly with a hint of slight relief, anger and most evidently: annoyance.

I cleared my throat.

"Yes mother?" I said in my dearest voice, giving Keller a quick glance before got up and started walking to the pond a few feet away.

"Oh darling," her sickeningly saccharine voice sounded almost concerned, she probably had company, "I've been worried sick about you!"