Chapter 9: No Mercy

Keith walks down the long, dark, empty road as he looks to find a way to Mercy Hospital. He carries his gun close to his chest. He hears shots being fired from off in the distance as he walks down the street, Mercy Hospital in his view as he crosses the road, just as a shot is heard near his ear but he moves out of the way just in time, raising his hands up in the air trying to see who the shooter was.

"You aren't one of em?" A voice asks, in the dark.

"Who the hell are you?" Keith asks, trying to see where the shooter is, then spotting someone sitting in a chair outside of a candy store.

"There's no help coming" the old man says, sitting in the chair," see for yourself".

"Evacuation's happening at Mercy Hospitial, that's what I've been told" he tells him, trying to get closer as he can barely see the old man.

"All lies" the old man then stands up, looking around at all the dead infected he's killed that walked down this street, he turns to the redneck," believe what you want, but everyone's dead".

Keith turns to Mercy Hospital, as he starts walking towards it with the old man's spooky words saying behind him," do as you wish, but believe me, sooner or later, humanity's luck will run out".

"When it does" Keith turns back to the old man," we'll just find another way to get it back".

Keith inches closer to the building, looking around at abandoned ambulances and police cars, blood everywhere," jesus, what happened here?" He pulls the front doors open, hearing voices inside.

"Hey" Keith stares ahead at three people walking down the empty hallway.

"Who are you?" The black guy asks him.

"Keith?" Bill says, getting a closer look," you made it."

"Yeah" Keith looks around at the rest of the crew," Francis should be coming".

"Are you this........Keith?" Zoey asks, just staring at the man wondering where he came from.

"Yeah" he tells Zoey, turning to Bill," well I see you haven't gotten any younger".

"Where was Francis?" Bill asks.

"He told me to go on ahead, we were trapped" Keith explains.

Bill leads them on ahead," he'll make it I presume" Bill says," now we need to get on the roof".

"Did they evacuate all the patients?" Louis asks, peeking into a room, now empty.

"Looks that way" Bill tells him.

Keith turns to Zoey," soo, um...........you got a boyfriend?" He smirks slightly.

Zoey rolls her eyes as she responds back to him," yeah, and he's a zombie. So when he comes back, I'll let him chew on your liver".

"We got better things to deal with than our own egos" Bill tells them, as he puts his finger to his lips, "Shhhh, did you hear that?"

"Hear what? Your breath?" Louis asks.

Just then, a Hunter pounces from the ceiling, right onto Zoey as she lets out a scream of terror as it gets on top of her, with the red eyes not leaving Zoey then it starts to claw her. Louis pushes it off of her as he points, but is to late to shoot as the Hunter pounces on him next. Then Keith comes to the save as he quickly grabs a small knife off of a nearby table and stabs the Hunter in the head, as he watches it slowly die, and drop off of Louis and helps him up.

Louis holds his head in pain,"my head, it hurts".

"He was attacked in the sewers" Bill explains to Keith," I think he may have a concussion".

"I'm not a doctor or anything" Keith watches as Louis sits against the wall, holding his head in deep pain," but I think he may need medical attention".

"You think?" Bill says back to Keith, looking down at Louis," you're going to make it, I'm not letting you die on us".

Keith leans against the wall, looking down at the dead Hunter as he says," do you really think we're going to get saved?"

"Why would you ask that" Zoey looks at him," do you really think the whole world will die with this virus? Do you really believe this is the apocolypse that we've been waiting for?"

"I just don't know what to believe" Keith responds.

"Keith, go look for some pain killers or some form of medication, Zoey you too" Bill commands them, looking down at Louis.

Keith goes in the opposite direction Zoey goes, as he opens up one of the doors, peeking his head in as he turns the light switch on, and suprisingly, the light actually turns on as he looks around the room at some tools on one of the tables, and he pulls back the curtain leading to an empty bed, and hears footsteps behind him. He doesn't move, frightened as he speaks.

"Zoey, is that you?" Keith says.

Keith slowly backs up, as he then feels something go halfway into his mouth, then closes his eyes as he just drops on the floor. He feels someone pick him up and take him away, and some voices. He can barely open his eyes up as he closes him, wondering where their taking him.