Chapter 30: Final Battle

Francis looks down, as he runs over to Zoey's body, pressing his ears against her chest,"she's not breathing".

Bill looks down, sadness in his eyes as he just shakes his head, his eyes start to water up,"she was a brave soldier".

"You. Are. Pathetic" A man steps out from behind a tree, a sniper rifle in his right hand dressed in torn up jeans, a dark brown shirt and a smile crossing his face.

"Keith" Bill speaks the name, thinking he was already dead from earlier.

Francis looks at the kid, remembering that monster that destroyed Riverside,"your, your not.."

"It changes me" Keith looks at them, coming abit closer, anger in his voice,"he gave me. It changes me" some of his veins start to move,"it happens at random times. I'm kind of like the Hulk, ya know?" He drops the sniper rifle,"you three really did think your going to survive this? IT'S THE END OF THE FUCKING WORLD".

Bill shakes his head,"your own life is worth fighting for each and every day".

"Give me one good reason why I should kill you right NOW" Francis points his gun over to him,"you killed Zoey".

Keith just laughs,"go ahead, shoot" he tells him,"I just can't seem to die" he smiles once again, as he takes a pistol out from behind his back,"but you two can".

Bill holds onto his wounded legs, as he takes out his gun,"If it's  fight you want, it's a fight your going to get"

Francis then starts spreading bullets right at Keith, watching the bullets enter his body, some of them coming out his back as blood starts to spread everywhere around them, the sounds echoing throughout the forest and out onto the highway, some infected chewing on a few dead soldiers hearing them.

Keith stands there, still smiling as he brings out his arms,"I told you, dude" he walks closer to Francis as he then gives him a big right hand to his face dropping him as he then gets on top of him and starts raining down punch after punch.

Bill then aims his gun, and pulls the trigger as  the bullet aims straight for Keith's head, blasting his skull open as blood starts to pour out of the open wound.

"Come on, son" Bill limps over to Francis, trying to help him up as he looks down at Keith,"poor son of a bitch".

All of a sudden, Keith's eyes open up as he looks at both of them, his wound on his head slowly heals up as he gets back to his feet looking at them,"I'll give you some credit, that was a nice one, Bill".

"What the hell's wrong with you?" Bill asks, looking at Keith.

"It's the virus controlling him" Francis mentions, spiting out some blood, his face messed up from the beating he took from him.

Bill aims, then shoots at Keith once again, but Keith sidesteps the bullet as a smile crosses his pretty face,"when are you just going to give up already? I am forever" he smirks, as his veins start popping out again and he instantly goes down onto his knees, as if he was transforming.

Francis quickly breaks off a tree branch, then runs at Keith from behind as he slams it right into his spine, it goes out from the other side as he cries out, blood splattering everywhere as footsteps are heard all around them, the infected.

"Why?" Keith looks down, sharp end of the branch sticking out from his chest as he just spits out blood.

"No one is forever" Francis tells him, then grabs his pistol and aims at his head.

"Don't do it" Bill looks at him,"he's just a kid".

"He's a monster" Francis tells him, as he then closes his eyes pulling the trigger as it enters his skull, blood exploding all over his face,"let's see that grow back".

Bill limps over to Francis, the infected right behind them as he looks over at Zoey's dead body,"we can't just leave her there".

"We gotta go" Francis yells at Bill, just as he looks over at the body of Keith, and it starts transforming and getting bigger and bigger as the clothes rips right off him, and grows claws and a bigger head, the branch inside of him coming right out as it evolves.

"Oh shit" Bill says, as he starts limping over to the boat.

Francis looks at him, then turns back to the monster Keith is turning into,"I fucking hate this day" as he aims his pistol, and starts shooting, as he turns to the infected coming out into the open, hunger in their eyes.

Bill takes out a grenade from his pocket, he took from the commander earlier ago as he looks at Francis, an idea in mind, as he takes a deep breath looking at all of the infected coming at them.

"Come on" Francis looks at Bill as he hurries towards the boat.

"We won't make it" the war veteran looks down at his grenade, then back at Francis," you go".

"I'm not going to leave you too" Franics looks at him.

"We got no other choice" Bill looks behind them, the monster almost fully evolved, the infected coming out from every angle,"you know that".

Francis nods towards him,"do what you gotta do".

"There's always risks in wars" Bill turns to the infected and the monster, as he waits for the monster creature to come closer, the infected running then jumps right at him ,slowly eating his flesh, screaming in pain as he looks up at the skies, then watches the monster come up to him, looking down. That's when he pulls the cap from the grenade.

Francis jumps onto the boat, as he quickly unties the boat from the deck, takes the boat key Zoey got from the dead body and fits it into the ignition as it starts up, he turns his head as he hears a giant explosion, pieces of the infected starts flying everywhere, the big monster exploding right before his eyes. The scene right in front of him looking like a warzone, as drops his head, everyone around him now dead as the boat moves farther and farther away, images of Louis, Zoey, Keith, Bill and Alex running through his head.

Moments later, he lifts his head up staring out into the fog as the boat continues down the body of water, as he heads towards Florida Keys, hoping to find a sanctuary, a safe place with real people, as he tries to hang on to some hope. The fog around him starts to disappear, the nightmare far from over.