Chapter 23: Fight for the Church

"ZOEY" Bill yells out her name, dropping 2 more infected standing in the middle of the foggy cemetary, undead everywhere holding his rifle.

Zoey swings the machete, chopping off an infected's head as it goes flying through the night air,"I'm alright".

Bill backs up, more shapes forming in the fog,"for what it's worth, there better be damn cigarettes in there".

Zoey quickly shoots down two more with her other hand,"why don't you just quit?"

"Do you know how hard it is to even try to quit? Not easy, hun" Bill backs up to the church wall,"now's our chance looking at the front door.

Zoey watches a few more shapes form in the fog, just as she dashes towards the door, Bill following close behind & starts pounding on the door.

"HEY" Zoey yells,"WE'RE NOT INFECTED".

"Ask him if he's got any cigarettes while your at it" Bill tells her, aiming & taking down a few more infected.

"Who....who are you?" A voice on the other side of the door replies back, moving a heavy object out of the way,"why should I trust you?"

"We're humans God..." he quickly reloads as an infected comes real close,"Dammit".

"I..." the voice coughs on the other side,"I'm sorry, I can't help you".

Zoey watches as two infected pounce on her, one of them being a Hunter as she screams.

Bill quickly grabs the Hunter, shooting the other infected, but suddenly the Hunter slashes Bill's face leaving a bloody mark. The hooded figure just then trips Bill, pouncing on the war veteran.

Zoey gets to her feet, grabbing her machete as she aims, then brings the sharp edges down decapitating the Hunter as it's head flies right off it's shoulders.

Bill grabs Zoey's hand as she helps him to his feet,"I had that under control. Nice shot by the way" looking down at the head, dead bodies everywhere on the ground.

"I feel like a Jill Valentine copy" Zoey turns back to the church door, as something drops inside the church.

Bill looks out into the fog,"doesn't look like we're out of the woods yet" as he starts banging on the door".

"MOVE" Zoey commands Bill, aiming at the door handle shooting it almost the rest of the way off.

"C'mon" Bill pulls the door handle off the rest of the way, pulling the door open.

Zoey follows Bill inside the church closing the door, as Bill pulls a big piano back to the door.

Bill hears the infected bang on the door, putting the piano in place,"well, we're still alive".

Zoey looks around,"where'd he go?" Asking about the voice.

Bill turns to her,"I don't know. But he better have some cigarettes on hi..." hearing an infected inside the church putting his finger to his mouth,"sshhhh".

Zoey hears footsteps right behind them,"did you.....hear that?"

Bill quickly turns around, looking at a Midnight Riders poster hanging on the wall,"this guy wasn't too christian I take it".

More footsteps somewhere off in the distance, Zoey points her gun in front of her, aiming her light into the darkness. The footsteps now getting a lot closer.

A glass bottle breaks right beside Bill just as the war veteran finds the light switch turning it on staring at a middle aged man standing right beside him, blood dripping from his pores in his face and from his mouth.

Bill aims, but the infected voice pushes him agains the wall, throwing the back of his head to it knocking him down.

Zoey shoots the back of the infected twice,"hey handsome" whistling at him,"wanna play?" She smiles aiming, but nothing pops out running out of ammo.

The infected runs at Zoey knocking the former college student down, trapping her arms as he bends down sinking his teeth right above her right breast as Zoey screams in pain.

Bill grabs her machete, stabbing the infected right through the chest turning him around, quickly taking out the machete, swings again chopping off the head

Zoey takes a deep breath laying there,"lucky I'm immune....shit".

Bill drops her machete, taking something poking out of the infected's right pocket,"aye, found my baby" staring over at Zoey tending to her wound,"you going to be alright, Zo?"

"Are you for real? Cigarettes? At a time like this?" She gets up, tearing off a piece of clothing from Mr. Infected and wraps up her wound, as it continues to bleed Zoey showing she's in pain.

Bill checks his pockets sticking a cigarette in his mouth,"shit. I lost my lighter".

Zoey facepalms, shaking her head cleaning off her blood machete, wiping it on the dead infected,"you really, really need to get laid".

Bill looks at Zoey, raising an eyebrow,"it's not like anyone would know".

Zoey looks at him, a smile crossing her face unbuttoning her shirt, pulling out her ponytail,"mise well sin while it's the end of the world, right?"