Chapter 24: Dangerous Waters

"FRANCIS" Alex turns around, shooting an infected that jumps at him.

"I'm just fucking fine" Francis pushes the kid forward,"MOVE" going out into the dark knight.

Alex looks out into the black fog,"umm, how exactly are we going to see?" Hearing infected behind him.

Francid turns his light on,"whatever you do, kid, stay behind me" running out with Alex & the infected behind him.

Alex runs through the fog, following the light hearing hungry infected right on his trail, knowing if he tripped, he'd be their snack.

Francis follows the long and foggy street, alongside Alex, runs right onto a bridge. Staring straight ahead, another group of infected runs their way.

"Holy shit" Alex turns to Francis,"what do we do?"

Francis looks to both sides of them, then into the lake underneath the bridge,"we jump".

"What?" Alex questions.

"Can you swim?" Francis asks him.

"Yeah" Alex answers.

Francis replies,"race ya" he jumps off the bridge, into the cold body of water below.

Alex follows after, jumping just as one of the infected tried to grab him, losing his shotgun in the process.

Alex feels the freezing water as the water pulls him in, going into his nose, mouth & ears.

"Are you okay?" Francis asks, swimming over to him, a couple of infected jumps, drowning.

"I'm okay" Alex responds,"we need to find ground".

"Wait till their gone" Francis spots an abandoned boat not far from them,"over there pointing.

Alex follows Francis, the cold water over his skin, getting closer to the boat,"why do I get the feeling like this is a normal thing for you?"

Francis finally reaches the boat, pulling his soak and wet body on board,"here" pulling out his arm.

Alex grabs his getting, getting into the boat, freezing then spots a couple of small bites on his bare, & tattooed arm,"you got bite?"

"By fish" Francis looks around,"well, we just got a damn handgun. We need to find supplies."

"Your infected" Alex says, not trusting the guy.

Francis turns to the kid,"I'm immune".

"That's not possible".

Francis pulls up his wet shirt, showing a bite one week old,"I found 3 others like me. One died, the other two went to hell" looking out over the horizon.

"How can you be immune?" Alex asks.

"Look kid, we don't have time for this" Francis feels something rip right through his left leg, instantly dropping,"FUCK",

"Don't move" a man stands there, wearing blue overalls and short cut hair,"I'm warning you".

Alex raises his arms,"I don't carry firearms, I swear".

"What the fuck do you two think your doing? Trying to steal my boat?" The man points his gun at Francis,"if you even so much as breath, I'll pull the trigger".

Francis holds onto his wounded leg, as it continues to bleed,"who the hell are you? A stupid fisherman? Did you not notice hell all around your sorry ass?"

"I don't think I like your attitude" the man stares at Francis.

Alex acts fast, grabbing the handgun Francis dropped and pulls the trigger pointing it at the man in overalls.

The man in overalls feels the wound in his left shoulder, then grabs Alex throwing the kid against the wall.

"This is why I hate kids" the man in overalls says, pointing his pistol into Alex's stomach,"they are never really bright".

Francis acts, grabbing the gun Alex dropped, pointing it at the man in overalls, pulling the trigger aiming at the man's head.

"Yippikiyay, motherfucker" Francis says.

Alex watches the man in overalls topple over, Alex pushes the carcass overboard and into the lake.

"Holy shit" Alex watches big movement in the water,"HOLY SHIT".

The crocodile swims over to the dead body, opening up it's mouth snapping his teeth on the body. It drags him away, showing it's red eyes in the darkness.

"Did you see that?" Alex asks, turning back to Francis, helping him to his feet.

Francis gets to his feet,"next time something like that happens, don't do anything stupid".

"I saved your life" Alex shakes his head,"your the lucky one. Your fucking immune".

"Not this shit again" Francis looks overboard, at least five surrounding the dead carcass, feeding,"well, I guess we call these things Chloediles?"

Alex shakes his head, giving Francis the middle finger,"fuck you".

Francis chuckles, his leg still hurting like hell from the bullet wound,"help me find something to patch this up, will ya?"

Alex kicks Francis's wound, as the man starts cursing him,"you know what that's for".