Chapter 10

I fainted . . . What?! Wouldn’t you?

A vampire just told me I wasn’t human! My life was seriously starting to freak me out! My own life was freaking me out! That is just insane!

“Shannon, wake up,” Someone demanded. There was something cool on my head. I opened my eyes but everything was blurry. I saw two figures leaning over me, but that was all I could make up. I closed my eyes again, “What the hell did you do to her?” It was a female voice. I could make that out.

“I told her,” That voice belonged to Damon. I calmed down . . . I was safe. Damon is here, I am going to be okay.

“You can’t just drop that on her,” The girl complained, “You’re not even sure you’re right!”

“I’m sorry. She is coming around,” Damon sighed.

I fluttered my eyes open and looked around. I was in my room. Damon was sitting next to me and a red headed woman was on my other side. I sat up slowly and looked at her.

Vampire.

That was my first thought. She was beautiful and pale. Her eyes were a strange pale blue and her skin was perfect. She smiled and flashed her fangs.

I gasped and jumped back before realized that it was a completely friendly smile. Not threatening.

Her smiled faded and she backed away.

“Sorry,” I sighed feeling bad, “You just shocked me.”

“Yeah, I’m not the only one,” She turned and glared at Damon.

That’s when his last words register in my mind: I am not entirely sure you’re human.

“Sorry, Shannon. I didn’t mean to . . .”

“W-what do you mean I am not human?” I stuttered.

“Now, I didn’t say that, did I? Do we need to work on our listen?” He pointed to his ear teasing, but I could even see he didn’t think it was funny.

I glared at him, “Damon,” I growled.

“Sorry,” He sighed, “Just trying to lighten the mood,” He shrugged helplessly.

“I am not in the mood for lightening right now,” I snapped, “Explain.”

“Padrick called me . . .”

“He is still in town,” I gasped as I felt the color drain from my face.

“Not that I know of, but the thing is . . . he seriously thought he killed you. He called me to boast about it. I let him think you were still dead because I didn’t want him coming back to find you,” He sighed.

“Well, what does that have to do about me being not human,” My eyes kept flashing to the red headed vampire.

“Sorry, my name is Vanessa,” She sighed when our eyes met.

I looked away embarrassed and then smiled shyly back at her, “Hi,” I sighed.

“Well, he said he drained you . . . any normal human wouldn’t have been able to live through that so I knew something was wrong. So I called Vanessa up,” He explained.

I looked to Vanessa confused. She read my expression, “I am a history buff. I am about 750 some years old,” She shrugged.

“You don’t even know you’re age?” I gasped.

“You just stop caring after a while . . . I mean it’s not like my looks show my age,” She shrugged.

“Oh, right,” I sighed as she sat down beside me.