Falcon Feathers (Chapter 20)

Chapter 20

 From Dust to Dust

Derek's POV

I woke up feeling rested. I looked around the room to see that the others were still in the various places where they had fallen asleep last night. I took it upon myself to wake everybody up. After washing up and getting ready for the day, we all sat around the kitchen table.

"What do we have to eat?" Will asked yawning.

"Check the fridge." Joelle said.

"Won't we have to pay extra if we take anything out of there?" Nala said.

"Relax, I got food for us." Unatsi said poofing into existence in a swirl of  snowflakes. He was wearing sunglasses and his parka was partially unzipped. His hair was touseld and one pants leg was missing. In other words he looked a mess.

"Where have you been?" Joelle asked accusingly.

"Well, when I got bored with the card game I left to go run some errands last night, which didn't take to long because of how efficient I am. So, I went to a rave back in my city." Unatsi said.

"You mean when you lost?" Joelle asked. Unatsi waved his hand and dismissed her comment.

"How was it?" Angel asked.

"It was amazing. You would not believe how good penguins are at being DJ's. The polar bears were fun as ever. Man can they drink or what? I gues it does make sense seeing as how they are all huge and everything. Anyhoo I hope you like doughnuts." He said in one breath.

"Umm... thanks," I said and picked up a doughnut. "This  isn't lethal is it?" I asked rembering the spirit travel yesterday and Unatsi's tendency to forget important things when dealing with mortals.

"Well they aren't toxic. Humans invented doughnuts as I recall. I remember when they first introduced them to our world. Good times." Unatsi said. That being said I took a bite out of the doughnut and tasted heaven. I didn't notice it at first but the box was the size of a suitcase on the inside. Unatsi must have noticed the confused expression on my face because he said, "Polar bears eat alot so they need to have ways of storing alot of food in relitively small spaces. They are the inventors of spatial distortion magic, though I myself had a hand in helping to create it."

"Huh" was all I could say.

"How do you know so much about polar bears?" Angel asked.

"My boyfriend." Unatsi said sipping a cup of coffe that he had gotten from somewhere.

"Is he a polar bear expert or something?" she asked.

"Nope."

"Then how does he-"

"He is one." That caused Nala to choke on her doughnut which got a laugh out of everyone present.

"If he's a polar bear then how do you two...?" Angel asked her voice trailing off.

"My, my only one thing on this one's mind huh?" Unatsi said chuckling which caused Angel to blush and look down. Will looked conspicuously out the window smiling as he did so. "Well if you must know we-"

"Aghem" I said.

"What?" Unatsi said absent mindedly. I nodded my head over towards the doorway of the other room where the kid I'd rescued yesterday was standing rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. "Oh."

"Hi there", Unule said sweetly. The kid looked up at her and took a step back.

"You must be hungry" she said. He nodded and Unule led him to an empty chair at the table and sat him down. She got a plate and stacked it with doughnuts. He devoured the plate of doughnuts and then looked sheepishly around the room as if he had just done something embarassing. [Adorable isn't he?] I looked over at Unule and nodded. (Makes me wonder what he was doing in a cellar all by himself.) HE CERTAINLY DOESN'T SEEM EVIL. (That makes three of us.) I noticed the kid was staring at me expectantly as if he was waiting for me to adress him.