Falcon Feathers (Chapter 23)

• Dedicated to Will Andrew

Chapter 23

Fast Forward

Derek's POV

"Magic transfer?" Unule asked.

"Yeah it looks a lot like the training Ace and I did with energy transfer," I said, skimming over the the book.

"Wanna try it?" Unule asked.

"Yeah," I replied, and went outside. We went out the front door and down the hill to the bottom of the lawn.

"So what does it say?" Unule asked, frowning over the pages.

"Well from what I can see, it only works if there is no magical energy in the user," I said.

"Then you would have to be a normal person or deplete your magical reserves," she said.

"Well actually it says neutralize it," I explained.

"Well that's altogether different," Unule said. I tilted my head to the side in confusion.

"The best way to teach you would be to show you," she sighed. She walked a few paces away and turned to face me. "Release all of your power at once and then draw it into yourself. Imagine all of your magical power being sealed into a ball inside of you."

"Demonstration please," I said. She took a deep breath and in an instant I felt a blast of wind knock into me.

"You may want to prepare yourself," she cautioned. I extended my talons, dug into the ground, and threw up a shielding spell. It took all my focus to keep from losing consciousness. Unule's body burned with a blinding silver light. I heard the splintering of bark on the trees around the house. Just as the force shattered my shielding spell, the air reversed directions.I was knocked to the ground, and in an instant the air was still. There was a faint silver aura around her and her hair floated and pulsed.

"Wow," I said.

"Now you try," she said. I closed my eyes and focused on drawing out all my power reserves. I opened my eyes and  suddenly wind exploded out from me and began swirling around into a cyclone. Then in an instant it was gone. All of my energy completely gone.

"What the...?" I asked.

"Don't worry, it's still there." Unule reassured me. I closed my eyes and tried to access my energy. She was right, it was still there, but it felt like there was a thin orb surrounding it.

"Why would this be useful to anyone who doesn't have this book?" I asked.

"Well can you sense my energy right now?" Unule asked. I thought for a moment and frowned.

"Didn't think so. Its very good for stealth."

"Huh," I said.

"Now what?" she asked.

"Well you draw in magical energy from a target and you can use both energies separately," I said.

Unule walked over and stood before me, then held out her hand for the book. I gave it to her, and after several seconds of skimming she closed the book and said, "Try it."

"On what?" I asked. She thought for a moment, then stepped back. I could tell that she returned her magic to its normal state because I could sense her energy once more. She made a small silver orb and tossed it into the space between us. She looked at me and then nodded at the orb. I focused on the orb and felt its energy. It had very little magic in it, just barely enough to keep it afloat. (Baby steps.) I lifted my arm, drawing out the energy within the orb. It gradually faded until it blinked out of existence altogether. I could feel the little orb's energy inside of me in a similar shell like the one that held my own energy.