Falcon Feathers (Chapter 22)

• Dedicated to Kia Saint-Louis

Author's note: sentences in italics are telepathic conversations. :) Enjoy.

____________________________________________________________

Chapter 22

Upgrades

Derek's POV

"You sure work fast." I said as Unule touched the ground.

"Time is of the essence," She said. "Joelle is already busy working so I marked her first."

"Marked?" Angel asked.

"The spell works by drawing a symbol on the surface of the target. It's a simple form of magic that takes very little energy to do but is very effective." She said.

"So it's like a magic tatoo?" Will asked his ears perking up.

"Pretty much, only they fade away over time in addition to thier effects." She said.

"So goes first?" I asked.

"Alec" Unule said. Alec stepped forward and held out his bare arm. Unule pressed her index finger to the skin and began gliding her finger over a small area. When she lifted her finger a swirling silver pattern and etched itself onto the exposed flesh. Alec winced as the final lines appeared.

"Those look like the patterns on the armor I trained with before I came to the Plane Academy." I said.

"Ace was a clever guy," Unule began. "How do you think you made so much progress before?" The truth was I had been amazed at how far I had come and all the things I could do. (Ace and Una really did do alot for us.) YEAH THEY DID. I felt a wave of melancholy wash over me. In an instant I crushed it. (I can't think like that right now.)

"Let's see if it works." I said.

"Ooh can I try summoning an animal like you guys do?" He said bouncing up and down.

"Ah, sure. I mean, you can try," I said summoning Gagan to my shoulder. "Like this." (Too bad he doesn't know that you can't summon a guardian spirit without a totem.) MAYBE YOU SHOULD TELL HIM THAT. (I think its best that he learn through experience what he can and cannot do.)

Alec took a few steps away from us and closed his eyes, which had gone back to normal. Almost immediately the air began to shimmer around him. (This is just like when I first summoned you, Gagan.) ONLY THE RIPPLES I MADE WERE MUCH SMALLER. THESE ARE HUGE. As I looked on, I saw what he meant. The entire area around Alec was humming with energy.

"I think we should step back" I said and we all took several steps away from Alec. As the energy built up a large figure began to take shape. With a thunderous ripping sound the holographic image began to solidify into flesh and blood, and scales. Alec fell forward from the strain. Just before hitting the ground the creature's tail shout out under him and hoisted Alec up onto its back a good ten feet off of the ground. The creature had a long serpentine neck, a pair of taloned legs, and a row of spikes starting at the head and ending at the end of its sweeping prehensile tail.

"Did it work?" Alec asked huffing.

"I'd say so" I called up to him. "Look down." Alec did just that and gasped. The creature turned its crocodillian head back to look Alec in the eye. It opened its mouth and exposed a row of sharp razor like teeth and an extended pair of fangs. Alec mimicked the gesture exposing his own pair of fangs and teeth. It tilted its head to the side and let a single drop of venom drip onto the grass below. Once again Alec imitated the gesture. The creature dipped its head and looking pleased swiveled its head around to look inspect the small group of onlookers. It lowered its head to eye level swung its head past each of us. When it got to Unule it bowed, to which she curtsied. It then raised its head eleven feet off of the ground and addressed us.