Falcon Feathers (Chapter 24)

Chapter 24

Dead Wind

Lance's POV

I ascended the stone steps and faced the back wall of the chamber. Placing my hand on the wall, I gazed at the glyphs and symbols that I had etched into the stone in preparation for this moment. I turned around to look at my associates, who in turn looked back up at me. All were present save Dana, for she had the task of stalling the guests when they arrived. It would be any minute now. They will come running to stop us, but it will be too late. I looked down at my totem, which now pulsed brightly just as all the other totems did. I walked towards a dais crafted out of obsidian.

There were seven holes in the surface of the stone.

"Come," I said, beckoning to my subordinates, "do as I do."

They each stepped up and gathered around me. I took my totem from around my neck and held it over the space in front of me. As the others did the same, a magnetic pull grasped the totems and sent them into the sockets. Suddenly the rock wall behind us disappeared, leaving a large passageway. I turned towards the opening and peered into the darkness. As I watched, orbs of heatless light began to appear at regular intervals, going down the corridor. I turned back to the dais and withdrew my totem. When I lifted it, the chain fell away and I could feel unrestrained power course through me. I grasped the totem in my hand and went towards the entryway, pausing only long enough to see that the others had taken their keys. Together we began down the hall.

 We kept walking until we came upon a doorway in the side wall. As we stood before the door, Blaine's totem pulsed and the door opened. He looked to me and I nodded back in response. He started down the sloping pathway, and soon he passed out of sight. I motioned for us to continue. Our group walked on and came upon another door, and this time both Zack and Zeke's totems pulsed. They both went down their path. We continued on and  Mary and Moses were the next to leave. Lastly Lilly came upon her door and quietly disappeared. I walked alone in the silent corridor until I came upon a set of stairs. I quickly ascended the stairs, my pulse rising with each step I took, not from the physical exertion but because I knew what lay waiting for me at the top.

 I entered a vast, cavernous room. In the center there lay an enormous dark purple crystal. Instinctively I recoiled as my primal instincts told me to flee. I smirked at my silly human frailty and proceeded towards the mineral, though I did summon Jekyll. When we were only a few feet away from the massive rock Jekyll began to whimper like a dog afraid of being hit by its master. I looked down to see him cowering behind my leg and growling faintly.

"Jekyll, stop hiding. Simpering does not suit you," I commanded. I looked down at my totem, which was now lifting slightly, as if it were being drawn by a magnet towards the gem. I placed my hand on the precious stone and, using it as a conduit, I reached out with my mind through the vastness of the mountain and into my comrades' heads.

"Begin," I ordered.

In my mind I saw Blaine hold out his totem and it flew into the gem in front of him, which was so similar to my own. It exploded. At the same time a fracture appeared in the surface of my gem. The same was happening with the others as I released my totem. As if I was watching several screens at once, I saw Blaine holding his hands, which were glowing with magic, in front of him, as his leopard growled before him at a massive dark figure. Zeke's wolf was in front of him as well, while Zack had his sword drawn and hawk flying around screaming at the two shapes that faced them. With each explosion, more and more cracks formed on the crystal. Lilly was backing up on her hands and knees, her raven hopping around on the floor with its wings spread, hissing at some dark wraith. Mary had her fangs bared and her wings spread, ready to fly at a moment's notice, her vampire bat shrieking about her head. Moses stood, awestruck, and stepped towards the larger of the two dark figures in his and Mary's room. A single tear escaped his eye as he reached out his hand towards the dark cloud that descended towards him. As it neared it began to take the shape of an enormous shaggy creature with paws the size of his torso.